Must Sing Karaoke Songs for La Beckett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

If you are an UPR-RP Student, you may have asked yourselves a couple of times: where is a great place around campus to have Karaoke Nights? La Beckett is a great place to do this. It is located near the book stores but, to be honest, you barely remember that at night, so the best location explanation involves us telling you these options: a) where you buy your delicious empanadillas at night or b) in a diagonal position of where you usually eat (Calzón de Sofía) and recall at your late night life, La Greca, in the second floor.  Thursday nights of singing your heart out begins around 11pm and usually ends up by 1-2am in the morning. They also have their fun variety of alcohol, and other activities. Now that you have found the place, people usually have the hardest time choosing their power ballad. So, without further ado, here is a list of what songs are fun, according to what you want to sing about.

Flirting Songs

We begin this list, empowering all of those out there who are trying to declare their “feelings” toward someone, fatal attraction, or as we puertoricans call it “querer tirarse de pecho”. 

1. Sanitarios – Caramelos de Cianuro
  2. Girlfriend – Avril Lavigne
  3. Mayor Que Yo – Daddy Yankee feat. Don Omar, Wisin y Yandel
  4. I Kissed a Girl – Katy Perry
  5. Pégate – Ricky Martin

Women Empowerment

These are the type of songs you choose if you want to sing along with all your girlfriends. They will sing with you, and it is a beautiful thing to do, because it not only shows the unity betweeen all of you, it also represents that they are not afraid to challenge the world.

1. Yo No Soy Esa Mujer – Paulina Rubio
  2. Todos Me Miran – Gloria Trevi
  3. So What – P!nk
  4. One More Time – Britney Spears

Outlook on Life

Do you remember that one song that sets you back into place when you felt like everything was falling apart? That song that takes you down memory lane and everything makes sense again? Those songs that make you reminisce and have a new perspective on life?

1. Y Daria  – La Quinta Estación
  2. Living On A Prayer – Bon Jovi
  3. Don’t Stop Believing – Journey
  4. Preciosa – Marc Anthony
  5. Since You’ve Been Gone – Kelly Clarkson
  6. How Far We’ve Come – Matchbox Twenty
  7. New Perspective – Panic! at the Disco
  8. Viva La Vida – Coldplay

Break Up Anthem

As much as we hate to admit this, because we’ve been guilty of this ourselves, when you go through a massive break up there are two scenarios. The first one you see yourself crying, wondering why the person you cared about left, and the other scenario involves you going around bars and singing sappy songs. The second one seems like the perfect way to heal, especially if you are accompanied by the lights of the phones of the many people that are recording you.

1. Hot ‘N Cold – Katy Perry
  2. Lo Siento – Belinda
  3. Boba Niña Nice – Belinda
  4. Complicated – Avril Lavigne
  5. Tu Recuerdo – Ricky Martin
  6. Rosas – La Oreja de Van Gogh
  7. Never Getting Back Together – Taylor Swift (or pretty much every T Swizzle song ever written)

Sing Along With Friends

There is a time in our lives that we decide to let loose of our fears, and usually when that time comes in a Karaoke night. You are usually accompanied by your friends, to sing your heart out in front of complete strangers.

1. Rebelde – RBD
  2. Bien o Mal – Escapularios
  3. Tango del Pecado – Calle 13
  4. La Ocasión – De la Ghetto feat. Arcangel, Ozuna and Anuel AA
  5. Funeral de la Canoa – Jowell y Randy
  6. A Thousand Miles – Vanessa Carlton
  7. Highway to Hell- AC/DC
  8. Rude – Mag!c

Couple or Duet

This final list was made for all of those out there that enjoy going to the karaoke night with their loved one. I know it is hard to choose songs with your partner, so we decided these were the most appropiate songs for you guys.

1. Colgando En Tus Manos – Carlos Bauté
  2. She Will Be Loved – Maroon 5
  3. Solo Quédate En Silencio – RBD
  4. This Love – Maroon 5
  5. I Want It That Way – Backstreet Boys
  6. Que Tontos Que Locos – Monchy y Alexandra
  7. What I’ve Been Looking For – High School Musical
Nahir Robles was a former member of the Her Campus at UPR chapter from 2013 until 2018. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Integrative Biology. Some of her interests include writing, modeling, and wrestling. She is currently a Her Campus Mentor and works as a Pathology Assistant.