photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Multitasking: Fact or Myth?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Multitasking is an incredibly common practice nowadays. Chances are, babe, that you’re multitasking right now! Sure, you might be reading this, but you may also be listening to music, watching TV, or scrolling through social media on a different gadget. For a lot of us, it’s become a natural habit to divide our attention between a million things on a daily basis—we’re usually not even aware that we’re doing it.

This brings the question: is it scientifically possible to multitask effectively? The answer is no! Contrary to popular belief, the human brain is totes incapable of simultaneously balancing several things at once. Every time your attention is deviated from the work at hand, your brain stops processing the first chore in order to receive new information from the second. Instead of getting more done faster, you end up constantly switching between tasks and inhibiting your ability to focus. This repetitive “start-stop” system can negatively affect your productivity; it encourages distraction and prevents you from giving your all.

Shocking, right? I, for one, used to believe I had mastered the art of multitasking. You probably thought so too! If you’re struggling to concentrate, get rid of anything that might distract you and take the time to organize your thoughts and your to-do list. Prioritize your pending assignments and take it easy, focusing on one thing at a time. You got this!

Image Credit: 1, 2

English Literature major with a passion for words.