This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

How can you get into the Christmas spirit? Besides going shopping for all the presents and spending time with family, for me, it’s watching a good Christmas movie. Who doesn’t like to watch movies? Especially if it’s during the holidays.

Here you’ll find a list of Christmas movies that you must watch before/on Christmas Day.

1. Rise of The Guardians

Rise of The Guardians is not generally considered a Christmas movie, but it’s an amazing movie that can get you into the Christmas Spirit since it’s about THE holidays. It has that typical sweet ending that almost everyone loves. Plus, it has Jack Frost! Who doesn’t love that guy?

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas  

This movie is bae. A lot of people ask themselves if this movie is better suited for Halloween or for Christmas. My advice is: why not on both? It’s perfect to watch for Christmas because, even though it’s kinda dark, it’s a great movie with an awesome playlist. The animated characters are spectacular and the storyline is amazing and very different from your usual trope of themes.

3. How The Grinch Stole Christmas

How The Grinch Stole Christmas is a classic. First of all, The Grinch is portrayed by Jim Carrey. Who doesn’t like his comedic acting? This movie has everything. It has comedy. It has heartfelt moments. It has tension, and The Grinch is a pretty relatable character for most people.It has a happy ending as well. It also shows you that Christmas is not all about the presents; it’s about spending time with your loved ones. Overall it’s a good movie that can easily get you in the Christmas spirit.

4. The Polar Express

Another movie that will get you into the Christmas Spirit because it’s a movie that shows you the importance of believing in something bigger than yourself. Each character develops important qualities they need to acquire. At the end we can see the qualities that they should acquire which are: believing, learning, leading, and counting on others. The movie has a lot of hidden meanings that will keep you analyzing it. The characters all symbolize some deeper meaning, which you can read about here. This isn’t my favorite movie out there but it gets you into the holiday spirit.

5. Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

Home Alone is a super good comedy to watch on Christmas; it will actually make you laugh, and it will easily make you very happy. It’s a very entertaining movie; watching little Kevin run around doing pranks on adults is hilarious. It may be an old movie but it’s a movie that people love to watch since it’s not typical and it will fill you with joy and laughter.

6. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

This may be a little kids movie but it’s just adorable. This film shows the value of friendship and of Christmas joy. The animated characters are kind of creepy since it’s an old film but it’s forgivable because it fills you with awe.

7. A Christmas Carol (2009)

Besides the fact that Jim Carrey is one of the voice actors, this is a classic. The movie is based on a book and it has various adaptations but this is one of the very best. The animations are very realistic with a lot of great detail. It also has a dark twist, and even though it’s meant for Christmas, it has a creepy kind of feeling.

8. The Santa Clause

This movie is an old-fashioned holiday classic. It’s super funny. It’s fun and entertaining. It will make you get for those childhood days in which you used to believe in Santa Claus. All in all, it’ll fill you up with nonstop laughter.

9. Barbie in the Nutcracker

It may be a Barbie movie but, who cares? You can watch it alone or with your little sister, brother, or cousin. I can say it’s a very cute movie but it also has that dark humor that is different from other Barbie movies. It may be kinda creepy but because of the bad guys that are mice and they have that weird bad guy vibe, but it doesn’t take the fact of it being a cozy movie to watch at home with your loved ones.

10. A Charlie Brown Christmas

A Charlie Brown Christmas is an animated “short” film but it’s adorable. It has that sweet and cute vibe that will fill you with joy. It’s also kind of a social critique since it highlights the fact that Christmas, over the years, has become more of a commercialized holiday; instead of just being joyful because you get to spend it with your loved ones.

I hope you enjoy these films. Happy Holidays!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Arhiadne is a freshman at UPR. She's currently in the Humanities Faculty but is thinking about changing to the Faculty of Business Administration because she wants to open her own restaurant someday. However, she usually doesn't have much to say about herself because, according to her, she only knows how to binge-watch Netlfix.