This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

All right, people. Let’s do this one more time. Everybody knows who Spider-Man is. His story has followed us over the last few decades. A teen gets bitten by a radioactive spider, teen’s uncle dies, teen decides to fight crime, a Green Goblin appears, and teen saves the girl from certain death (well, except that one time). Be it by our most recent Peter Parker, Tom Holland, the true OG, Tobey Maguire, or even the one in that one Japanese show no one talks about. However, it wasn’t until Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse that non-hardcore Spidey fans found out that Peter Parker wasn’t the only one who got bitten by one little radioactive insect, but an afro-boricua teen from Brooklyn called Miles Morales did as well.

His origin story is very similar to Peter’s, but not quite the same. When he acquires his powers, he gets himself into some sticky situations that cause him to encounter Spider-Man himself. Spidey isn’t in a good situation either, since he is trying to destroy a portal that could cause a rift across the different dimensions. Unfortunately, after not being able to help Peter Parker, Miles makes it his duty to pay for his mistake. When he encounters his five different counterparts from other dimensions, he figures out that he can save the world and figure out his all-new powers with their help.

This animated film deals with themes of finding your purpose in life and dealing with the expectations of those around you. Miles constantly finds himself frustrated with his dad’s expectations. This leads him to always seek solace from his Uncle Aaron, who lets him express himself freely. Even when he gained his powers, he felt the pressure of the shoes he had to fill, but it wasn’t until he decided to be his own person that he could finally take that leap of faith.

When it comes to the production, it’s something completely different from what we’ve seen in other superhero films, since, after all, it is an animated movie. The animation itself is completely out of this world; it’s very different and refreshing. At first, it looks straight out of a comic book, but it’s taken to a whole other level with its 3D animation. With its contrast in colors and style, audiences have been left amazed. The movie also has a solid soundtrack, featuring artists like Post Malone, Aminé and Nicki Minaj. It also has an amazing cast. Some highlights were Hailee Steinfeld’s performance as Spider-Gwen and Shameik Moore as Miles Morales. They all brought personality to the character’s voices (especially Chris Pine’s Peter Parker).

One really shouldn’t be surprised that Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes and won the Golden Globe for Best Animated Motion Picture— it’s a must-watch for this holiday season. What made this movie stand out from the others is that everyone can connect with the characters. They all suffer from personal loss at one point of their lives, proving that even if they have insane spider powers, they’re just like us. At some points, it’ll make you laugh your heart out and you’ll probably shed a tear or two as well. So take that leap of faith and revisit your new and improved friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. With its superhero action and humor, you will definitely leave the theatre with a smile on your face.

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

A sour patch kid raised in the small town of Villalba, Puerto Rico (she'll argue that she's from Ponce though). She's a total geek who takes everything one fandom at a time. Her major is Creative Writing.