This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Molly’s Game is the real-life story about a professional skier who, due to life’s twists and turns, ends up running a number of high-stakes poker games and finds herself in the FBI’s crosshairs.

This is writer Aaron Sorkin’s directorial debut, and you know what? It’s everything you could hope for. Sorkin’s filmography includes writing important screenplays like The Social Network, Steve Jobs (Fassbender, not Kutcher), A Few Good Men and the TV show The West Wing. All his works are very dialogue driven. For example, the entirety of Steve Jobs is a mere three scenes. In spite of this, Sorkin’s dialogue writing shines to make it a fast-paced and dynamic movie.

Molly’s Game is no exception. The writing is just as centric as in any of his other works: powerful lines being delivered left and right. This is one of Aaron’s more complex screenplays. However, it doesn’t have too much going on to the point where it gets clustered or like you can’t keep up. The film is constantly going back and forth in time, but the plot is clear and it doesn’t confuse viewers in any way.

Another thing that makes this such a great film is the cast. Jessica Chastain portrays the leading lady Molly Bloom, Idris Elba portrays her lawyer Charlie Jaffey, and Kevin Costner portrays her father Larry Bloom. With this all-star cast, it’s sure to be a great movie, and you won’t be disappointed.

Jessica Chastain delivers an AMAZING performance to such a complicated and round character. Throughout the whole movie, viewers get to see so many facets of Molly Bloom’s personality and character. Jessica interprets every single one of those facets so naturally, I had a hard time separating the character from the actress!

Idris Elba also has moments where he shines through the film; his best being a monologue that just leaves viewers shocked. It’s also everything the viewers are thinking in that point of the plot. Even Kevin Costner, who is not present during most of the film, has a moment where he leaves his heart in his performance.

The movie is such a powerful female-oriented movie because that’s what Molly Bloom is: a force of nature. If you enjoy Aaron Sorkin’s previous works, go watch Molly’s Game and meet Molly Bloom, you’ll be blown away. This film is based on a memoir of the same name, and I’m seriously intrigued to read it! As an aspiring actress, I can only hope to appear in movies as good as this one.

“If you think a princess can do what I did, you’re incorrect.”

– Molly Bloom

Watch the trailer here  

19 years old Film student, actress, photographer and artist.