This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s November, which officially means that it’s Christmas!

Merry Christmas everybody!

With every Christmas, comes a brand new selection of Christmas movies to watch to get into the Holiday spirit and have a jolly time. As a big fan of this time of year, I was really excited to watch Paul Feig’s newest movie, Last Christmas: Emma Thompson wrote that

Starring Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding, the film takes place in London during the holiday season, everything is covered in snow and covered in Christmas lights and decorations. The atmosphere is jolly but this is where Kate, an aspiring singer, is struggling to make it after her life changed last Christmas. She has become distant from her family and is trying to ignore her problems. 

A post shared by LIFE IS ABOUT ATTITUDE (@tonytlf3112) on

Kate works at a Christmas department store, under the watchful eye of her boss, Santa, who has tried her best in helping Kate with her situation but has given up in giving her any more chances. Kate is growing tired of the streak of audition failures and she meets a mysterious man called Tom, who starts to help her rediscover her passions and find a new purpose when she realizes that what she had been doing all along wasn’t making her happy anymore. However, Kate starts to suspect that Tom might be too good to be true. 

This movie has been criticized for being cheesy and predictable, and to that, I say that this is a Christmas movie and you can’t expect this to be a cinematographic masterpiece. I loved this movie with all my heart and it was exactly what I expected it to be. This is the type of movie that you need to watch to have fun, it’s not to take it too seriously. Yes it’s predictable, yes it’s filled with about every cliche you can imagine, but it has a lot of heart and it is very clear about everything it wants to convey. There was a lot of social commentary regarding the current political climate in the United Kingdom, which was very surprising but very welcomed. Emilia Clarke is proving to be an excellent comedic actress, breaking free from Daenerys Targaryen, a role that she played for ten years. This was Henry Golding’s third movie, after making his debut in 2018’s Crazy Rich Asians and he is proving to be quite the charmer and someone to definitely look out for because he’ll be a force to be reckoned with. I think both actors had incredible chemistry and worked really well together. 

A post shared by I’m TIFF / Idealism (@idealism_0531) on

It’s a really fun and cute movie, the type of movie that we sometimes need to see to experience joy. It’s definitely a movie that I will be adding to my Christmas movie repertoire.

Gabriela is currently an English Major at the University of Puerto Rico. When she isn't reading fantasy books, she can be found writing them. She is a Vegetarian Hufflepuff that loves zombie fiction, an irony in itself. An aspiring filmmaker, she one day dreams of winning an Oscar for her films.