This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Though Monday was yesterday, I’m sure all of you will still enjoy reading about cheesy Holiday movies!

Winter (or Christmas) is coming! And you know what else is coming with it? Not the dead, but the cheesy movies some of us hate to love! Which is exactly why I’m here sharing with you guys one of the few cheesy movies that I have watched and actually enjoyed! Another reason I decided to talk about this one in specific that I am excited for its upcoming sequel: A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding and I’m really hoping I’m not the only one!

A Christmas Prince is a US romantic comedy that was directed by Alex Zamm, and distributed by Netflix. It premiered on November 17th, 2017, and with appearances by Rose McIver (iZombie) as Amber, Been Lamb (Divergent) as Prince Richard, Alice Krige (The Little Vampire) as Queen Helena, Honor Kneafsey (Our Zoo) as Prince Emily, Emma Louise Sounders (Skin Deep) as Lady Sophia, and Theo Devaney (Supernatural) as Simon, this movie turned out to be quite an unforgettable cheesy and cringe worthy Christmas movie to watch and enjoy during the holidays!

The movie follows Rose McIver’s American character Amber, a young journalist that works for a magazine that sends her to the nation of Aldovia to cover a press conference with the crowned prince Richard, who’s supposed to take the throne after his father’s recent death. But after Amber decides to snoop around the palace, looking for the prince that never showed up, she ends up being mistaken for Princess Emily’s new tutor, a mistake she decides to take advantage of by going undercover in order to investigate more about this prince that is rumored to be a playboy planning to abdicate the throne as King of Aldovia. Thus begins a romantic comedy that will warm your heart but also make you cringe from beginning to end.

I watched this movie last year while waiting for my appointment at the dentist, and believe me when I tell you that every time I caught myself laughing with it or enjoying it, I felt like I was betraying myself since I usually don’t enjoy these type of cheesy movies that have to deal with women unexpectedly finding love during Christmas– especially if they have to deal with a random prince. But as you can see, A Christmas Prince was the exception. Why? Mostly because McIver’s character was relatable in some aspects– like that part where she feels out of place in a royal family gathering with her very American style– and because the cringe, while it was bad, wasn’t THAT kind of bad (cringe can be enjoyable too!). And I hate myself for admitting this, but the romance also had something to do with this movie being an exception, okay?

In the end, while A Christmas Prince is quite cheesy and predictable, believe me when I tell you that those two things won’t keep you from enjoying it. It is a fun film to watch, and even though you’ll (probably) hate yourself for it, you might end up wanting more of this unexplainable kind of gem Netflix released last year, and you’ll be getting even more cringey goodness later this year!

What are some of your favorite romance movies to watch during the holidays? Make sure to share them with us on Twitter!

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3.

Just a girl trying to catch up with her major in Comparative Literature who can be found busy reading, writing, or getting lost in the world of video games.