This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

A Monday to reminisce about old movies and old times. Teenagers’ lives are always a mix of angst, drama and fun moments; which is exactly what the coming-of-age comedy-drama film The Breakfast Club captures in an hour and thirty minutes. The movie was written and directed by John Hughes, and it is considered one of the best high school movies of all time. It was released on February 1, 1985, and stars Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Emilio Estévez and Anthony Michael Hall.

The film follows five teenagers of very different social backgrounds who end up in detention together and bond after realizing they are not as different as they had previously believed. They talk, dance, cry and cause a whole lot of trouble for the teacher in charge.

The movie knows how to bring fun entertainment to life while still mentioning important topics like suicide, child abuse, bullying (among others!). It makes the viewers empathize with the characters when these characters delve into themselves and their hardships; however, it also keeps a light tone with the absurd situations they get into. It overwhelms you with emotion but at the same time, it manages to make you laugh.

The actors successfully portray their characters to excellence. Just as their characters are different, they are as well. Their characters suffer and through this suffering, they capture the struggles that the characters share, and the nightmare that is high school and being a teenager can bring. They manage to make the different personalities compatible and the chemistry between the characters is almost perfect.

The movie gives you five different perspectives of how life as a teenager is. It makes you laugh and cry and leaves you wanting more. It’s a great family movie that anyone can enjoy, and it’s the type of movie you’ll never forget. So, I hope you follow the brain, the jock, the basket case, the princess and the criminal and go on this amazing adventure with them.  

Image credit: 1, 2, 3

I'm just an amature writer with big dreams.