This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Photo from The New York Times

In case you didn’t know, The New York Times has a section called “Modern Love Stories.” A few years ago, I started listening to their podcast as I drove to the university each morning, and it was a breath of fresh air if I’m honest. Each episode is a different story based on a specific nonfiction essay. I was drawn to the rawness of each one, especially because hearing someone read it made it feel so intimate. Later on, I found out I could watch a series based on this called Modern Love on Amazon Prime, and it’s a delight! 

Why do you get hooked? If you’re an admirer of stories about falling in love, heartbreak, grief, and watching interpersonal relationships unfold with all of its vulnerable aspects, then there are more than enough reasons to add it to your list. If you think your love life and social interactions are complicated, then Modern Love provides a broader perspective on the topic, which makes you feel more at ease (or maybe the opposite). 

Another great aspect of both mediums is the variety of stories you could experience. Three of my favorite podcast episodes are called He Ghosted, I’m Grateful (very on brand for our generation), We Dated for Three Years, He Forgot It All (which broke my heart), and the heartfelt When the Music Stopped. On the other hand, with the series you could watch very well-rounded actors portray these stories with such subtlety. Some examples include, a famous episode starring Anne Hathaway, called Take Me As I Am, Whoever I Am, in which she tackles the challenges of being bipolar, and When Cupid is a Prying Journalist which depicts a the-one-that-got-away story that makes you empathize with each character wholeheartedly.

TIt7dqhkGn vFC8lE4vQPgTdy35CspWww1S4i3mdKe7JqSOVkUQfG9i8j326BGgYyOZmB9bYKMpRwKCiLAbCqXXCUhUWhAtD2d2vd3T3DqQ1PapY

Photo from refinery29

Love, relationships and how we connect with each other are constantly evolving experiences due to technology and its new trends. Seeing these stories about love in its different facets reminds one that this concept that continuously surrounds us is diverse, messy, and emotional. Which is why Valentine’s Day is just an extension of this canon event we all experience during our livelihood. Before the Valentine’s season is over, choose to watch, read, or listen to these uniquely presented narratives; and possibly keep enjoying this content beyond the holiday. I hope you take a chance during this season of love, to listen to the modern love that revolves around us… and just keeps growing. 

María Isabel is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras campus and a contributor to the Her Campus UPR chapter magazine. Her topics of interest range from entertainment to midnight thoughts that keep you up at night. She is majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies in the Humanities faculty with a specific interest in Theater and Language. She is academically eager to keep taking French classes, and learn more on the relationship between theater, movement, and performing arts. Another discipline they would major in, if they could, is in Art History and Literature. Most of their work experience is related to theater as a member of the cast and production team in the Theatre committee at her university. Maria is constantly looking for new opportunities to participate in theater productions and art related projects. In her free time she relaxes by reading, watching Netflix and Disney Plus movies and series, and looking for new experiences to share with her friends. When she’s not listening to podcasts on her drive to the university, she is binge watching her favorite sitcom,New Girl, and she feels that most times she is a mix of Jess and Winston, and when stressed a raging Schmidt.