This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I know there are a lot of girls and guys out there who watch beauty pageants. I mean, sometimes it’s nice to have a good laugh (Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, ring a bell?) and of course to see what the “charismatic” girls are going to show. But this one time, for the very first time in a couple of years that I’ve seen the Miss America Pageant, there was this contestant that really had me going. I never thought I’d see the girl I’ve always pictured as a contestant. Her name is Theresa Vail. The minute she walked to that stage I was speechless. But, who is this girl?

Theresa, the second army beauty queen, made history the moment she participated at the Miss America Kansas. She wanted her talent to be “archery,” but two days before the competition she learned that there was a policy against using such instruments. So she taught herself Opera in those 48 hours she had… and nailed the song. A very impressive gal, but that’s not all. She is also the first contestant in the history of the Miss America Pageant (a pageant that has been around for over 90 years) to unveil her tattoos, clearly making a statement that’s here to stay. Theresa says: “I’m all about breaking stereotypes … Everybody thinks of Miss America as this girl on a pedestal. I want her to come down from that. She is just a normal girl.”

Miss America Kansas entered the pageant because her commander officer suggested her to. Luckily, she followed his instructions. Miss Vail wants to follow her father’s footsteps, by being in the military and becoming a dentist one day just like he is. She’s a chemistry and chinese major…so you see? Not all beauty queens are just about physical appearance. This is important because it’s breaking the stereotype. 

Even though she didn’t win, Theresa made it to the top 10! She made quite an impact in the history of Miss America by breaking the barriers that have been set for many years. She’s string, smart, beautiful and most of all, a leader. At only 22, she has accomplished so much. The sergeant, with the ability of archery like Katniss Everdeen, won her way to our hearts stabbing that arrow real hard.

Quotes taken from:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/16/tattoo-wearing-soldier-theresa-vail-makes-big-run-to-miss-america-top-10-finish/

Nahir Robles was a former member of the Her Campus at UPR chapter from 2013 until 2018. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Integrative Biology. Some of her interests include writing, modeling, and wrestling. She is currently a Her Campus Mentor and works as a Pathology Assistant.
Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!