Meet HCUPR Contributor: Karen M. Montes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.
Meet Karen M., she is a driven 21 year old that is going places and hopefully one of them is in your T.V. screen in a few years. Read on to learn more about our lovely HCUPR Contributor:

Name: Karen Michelle Montes BerríosAge: 21Classification: 4th yearFave Food: ChineseMajor: Information & Journalism + GeographyHobbies: Cooking, baking, writing, photography and collecting shot glasses from places I travel Relationship Status: Single, and you have to be freaking amazing to change that. Zodiac Sign: Aquarius

HCUPR: When did you join Her Campus- UPR?

Karen: I joined Her Campus in September 2013 in my sophomore year. 

HCUPR: What is your favorite thing of being on Her Campus-UPR?

Karen: I enjoy the diversity we can provide in different articles but my favorite part is how we work together as a team to provide that same diversity in our campus and to the rest of the world as well. 

HCUPR: How would you describe yourself in three words? Karen: From all the possible words to describe myself: I would chose adventurous, witty, and a perfectionist. HCUPR: Do you have a hidden talent?Karen: Yes, but If I decide to reveal my hidden talent, it wouldn’t be hidden anymore.  In any case, I’m an expert in writing big papers within two hours of deadline.  

HCUPR: Where do you see yourself in the future?Karen: Here in Puerto Rico there aren’t many professionals in media that have academic preparations in meteorology: I want to be an exception to that. After I graduate I want to continue my graduate studies in Broadcast Meteorology & Climatology, and also a masters in Physical Geography. 

HCUPR: Karen, what is your motivation behind studying Broadcast Meteorology & Climatology and Physical Geography?

Karen: My first hurricane was Hurricane Georges.  it was a destructive storm that took away my swing set and a little garage in my house, but I remember I was extremely fascinated by that at only 4 years old. Three years later, Tropical Storm Karen and Hurricane Michelle came along and what can I say.. I got hooked. I competed in National Geographic competitions throughout elementary and middle school and kept tracking storms in high school. I developed a passion for writing as well, so I decided to combine all three passions and I haven’t looked back ever since.

HCUPR: What have you learned so far at La Iupi?Karen: My college years have been the best years of my life so far: it’s where you learn the best. Primarily, I learned that you have to know how to catch opportunities and seize them at the right time. But above all, establishing priorities is the best lesson of all, separating what’s permanent and what’s temporary in your life. College is living proof that social and academic life is tough, but there’s always a chance to make time for everything if you’re willing to work for it.

HCUPR: Since you’re an expert writing big papers with a very close deadline, do you have any tips for our readers?

Karen: Organizing your details and knowing what you’re going to write about: that’s the only way I’ve been able to pull it off with such a close deadline. It’s a risk I don’t recommend much people to take unless you’re able to concentrate appropriately.

HCUPR: What do you look for in a partner? Karen: I haven’t thought about this in some time…. I could say I’m looking for a modern day Prince Charming but that’s just unrealistic. In a partner, I appreciate goals, loyalty, great personality, respect for myself, and others as well.

HCUPR: How do you spend most of your free time?Karen: With so much going on, free time is a rare thing for me.  If I do get that chance, I adore trying out new recipes or making roadtrips anywhere around this beautiful island. HCUPR: What’s your idea of a perfect date?Karen: I’ve always imagined a perfect date with flowers, exploring a historic place or going on adventures, eating, and drinking what I’ve never tried before, having a conversation about our lives… But I’ve never gotten those type of dates. A fantasy it shall stay. HCUPR: What are some words you live by?Karen: We all have good and bad days but I survive with this quote by the lovely Elizabeth Taylor: “Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick and pull yourself together”. HCUPR: Who is a person you really admire and why?Karen: It’s gonna sound a bit too cheesy but I admire my parents above all. They have taught me the most important lessons a human being can learn: working hard for your goals, pushing yourself above the limit and staying always humble. No amount of college graduation can replace a life lesson by my parents to become a better person each day.

Madelyn is an undergraduate Marketing Management student at the University of Puerto Rico- Río Piedras Campus. She is a multitasking genius who can tame Wild beasts while baking cookies. On the pink side of things, she has been a contributor for the UPR chapter since September 2014 and on May 2016 became Campus Correspondent of the UPR chapter.