Life > Academics

Look no Further: Here’s the 411 on Specialty Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Coffee, a timeless elixir that awakens the senses and propels us into the day, holds a special place in the hearts and minds of people worldwide. From the invigorating scent that wafts through bustling cafes to the soothing warmth of a cup cradled between our palms, coffee embodies much more than a mere beverage—it symbolizes a culture, a ritual, and a source of inspiration. When we ponder about coffee, an intricate tapestry of thoughts, memories, and emotions are woven together, creating a rich and multidimensional experience. 

Coffee can be broadly defined as specialty or commercial grade. These distinctions are based on various factors that assess the quality, origin, and overall experience of the coffee. But first, let’s give a quick 411 on what this morning delight is all about. 

At first glance, a cup of coffee might seem like a simple, dark liquid; invigorating. Yet, when we peer through the lens of science, its complexity unfolds like a captivating puzzle. Coffee is a concoction of hundreds of compounds, each contributing to its distinctive aroma, flavor, and effects. Roasting coffee beans transforms their chemistry, as heat coaxes out flavors from carbohydrates and creates aromatic compounds. Caffeine, that beloved wake-up call, is just one piece of the puzzle; it stimulates our brain by blocking sleep-inducing molecules. Acids give coffee its brightness and zest, while oils provide a silky mouthfeel. The temperature and time of brewing craft a symphony of tastes, as water extracts a spectrum of flavors from the beans. From the interaction of these compounds to the magic of roasting and brewing, the scientific dance behind your morning brew is a beautiful testament to nature’s intricate artistry. 

Commercial coffee: 

According to The Coffee Review commercial coffee is “roasted and packed in large plants, under nationally advertised brand names.” In other words, commercial coffee refers to the mainstream coffee that is widely available in grocery stores, cafes, and restaurants. It is often grown in large quantities on industrial farms, focusing more on quantity than on unique flavors. The beans used for commercial coffee are typically of lower quality and may come from various regions, which can result in a less consistent taste profile. The processing methods for these beans might not be as meticulous, potentially affecting the final flavor. Commercial coffee is roasted to a level where it’s more uniform and suitable for mass consumption. While it provides the familiar coffee experience that many people enjoy, it may lack the distinctive flavors and nuances that specialty coffee offers.

Specialty coffee:

Specialty coffee, according to the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA) defines specialty coffee as “green coffee beans that have no quakers, are free of primary defects, are adequately dried and sized, presented in a cup free of taints and faults, and have distinctive traits … [it] is a term for the highest grade of coffee available, typically relating to the entire supply chain, using single origin or single estate coffee.” Specialty coffee is often grown in specific regions known for their optimal climate, altitude, and soil conditions.

The favorable growing conditions of these regions contribute to exceptional taste profiles. To put it simply, specialty coffee must pass grading and cupping evaluations in accordance with established guidelines which define specialty coffee in its unprocessed state. According to a scale used by organizations like the SCA (Speciality Coffee Association), specialty coffee beans must achieve a score between 80 and 100 points when evaluated by certified coffee tasters. Every stage of the procedure is closely monitored. After processing, the beans are carefully sorted to remove any defects or subpar beans. 

Step by step:

1. Cultivation and Harvesting:

Specialty coffee is grown in specific regions known for their optimal climate, altitude, and soil conditions. Arabica beans, which generally offer a wider range of flavors, are favored for specialty coffee. Coffee farms that produce specialty beans prioritize sustainable and responsible farming practices. The coffee cherries are carefully tended, with an emphasis on manual harvesting to select only the ripest cherries.

2. Processing: 

The coffee cherries must be handled cautiously throughout the initial processing stage to prevent damage. The coffee beans must first have the peel and pulp removed, and then they must be dried. The ultimate quality of the specialty coffee bean may suffer if they are dried insufficiently, unevenly, too slowly, or too rapidly. The coffee needs to be rested in storage containers with adjustable humidity and temperature. The potential of the coffee can be diminished by even the smallest errors in the screening process. 

3. Roasting:

Roasting is a crucial step in the specialty coffee process. Skilled roasters carefully roast small batches of beans to specific profiles that enhance their inherent flavors. Specialty coffee roasters prioritize even development, taking care not to over-roast or under-roast the beans, as this could mask the distinct flavors. The roaster must develop the flavors effectively, and package the roasted product properly during the roasting process. The use of subpar packaging techniques and materials, malfunctioning machinery, or unqualified roasters can all lead to serious problems and damage.

4. Cupping and Quality Assessment:

Cupping is a specialized tasting process used to assess the flavor and aroma characteristics of coffee. Specialty coffee experts, including roasters and Q Graders (certified coffee tasters), conduct cupping sessions to evaluate the coffee’s nuances, acidity, body, and aftertaste. This rigorous assessment ensures that only the highest-quality beans are selected.

5. Packaging and Storytelling:

Specialty coffee is often packaged with detailed information about its origin, processing methods, and flavor notes. The packaging highlights the unique story behind the coffee, connecting consumers to the farmers and the regions where the beans were grown.

Some of the best specialty coffee 

Here we have gathered information on some of the most thoroughly cultivated and processed specialty coffee:

1. Ethiopian Yirgacheffe: Known for its vibrant acidity, floral aromas, and complex fruity notes, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans are often considered a benchmark for specialty coffee. They are grown at high altitudes and are processed using both washed and natural methods, resulting in a wide spectrum of flavors.

2. Panama Geisha: Geisha coffee, originally from Ethiopia, gained fame in Panama for its exquisite floral and tea-like qualities. This variety boasts a delicate and nuanced flavor profile with notes of jasmine, bergamot, and tropical fruit. It’s often associated with auction-record prices due to its rarity and exceptional taste.

3. Kenyan AA: Kenyan AA beans are celebrated for their bright acidity, full body, and vibrant berry-like flavors. Grown at high altitudes, they are often processed using the washed method, which contributes to their clean and complex taste.

The world of specialty coffee is a thriving and dynamic landscape that continues to captivate coffee enthusiasts and newcomers alike. Throughout this article, we have delved into the intricate journey of specialty coffee, from its origins rooted in artisanal craftsmanship to its meticulous process. With its emphasis on quality, sustainability, and unique flavor profiles, specialty coffee represents a harmonious blend of art and science that resonates with a diverse range of palates. The resurgence of specialty coffee has not only elevated the coffee-drinking experience to new heights but has also fostered a deeper appreciation for the hands that cultivate and process these beans. The partnerships forged between coffee growers, roasters, and baristas transcend borders, creating a sense of interconnectedness that extends from farm to cup. 

As we move forward, it is evident that the specialty coffee industry will continue to evolve, pushing boundaries, and challenging conventions. The relentless pursuit of excellence in every step of the coffee journey promises a future filled with innovation and discovery, where new terroirs will be explored, processing methods refined, and flavors unlocked. Ultimately, specialty coffee stands as a testament to the potential for transformation within a humble bean. It invites us to savor each sip, to embark on a sensory adventure that bridges cultures and time zones. Whether shared in a cozy café, a bustling urban market, or the comfort of our homes, specialty coffee offers a passport to the diverse landscapes and narratives woven into every cup. So, let us raise our mugs in appreciation of the rich tapestry that is specialty coffee, celebrating both the complexity of its flavors and the community that embraces it with open arms.

Adriana Quiles is junior at the University of Puerto Rico Recinto de Río Piedras. She's very passionate about female empowerment and feels that Her Campus is her ideal outlet to talk about topics that matter to her and to all women.