This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

This past October, the international, record-breaking k-pop group BLACKPINK released their long-anticipated album, The Album. It’s no secret that this has been a long time coming. After four years of fans asking “Where is the album?” It’s finally here, and it’s definitely the start of a new era for BLACKPINK. The album is an homage to what The Pinks, as their fans fondly call the group, have worked for throughout their short but ground-breaking career. With amazing collabs, addictive beats, and emotional lyrics, you’re in for a trip—that’s for sure.

How You Like That

The album begins with their pre-released song, “How You Like That.” Back in June, when the song was released, it was a look at what was about to come. HYLT has BLACKPINK’s classic formula and sound we have seen before. However, the message of the song is all about getting back up no matter what; to rise after hitting rock bottom. As the bridge says, “You should’ve ended me when you had the chance.” It ends with an intense dance break, letting us know that they are here to stay.

Ice Cream

Ice Cream” is the first collaboration on The Album. This time, the girls’ collaborated with the iconic Selena Gomez for this track. The song was definitely meant for their Western audience, and it’s very reminiscent of one of their previous tracks, “As If It’s Your Last,” with its bubblegum pop sound. Selena Gomez blends perfectly with the group, and Lisa’s rap-verse is the highlight of this track.

Pretty Savage

This song represents what BLACKPINK’s identity is all about—and a call-out to the haters. Throughout their whole career, the girls have been under public scrutiny. This song gives you an idea of what they’ve been through. With its heavy bass and lyrics giving homage to their name, they are in fact, “Pretty Savage.”

Bet You Wanna

“Bet You Wanna” was the surprise collab that nobody expected: BardiPink! The track is up-tempo and funky, and the lyrics are flirty with the girls promising a good time. Cardi B takes total control of her verse, somehow without cursing! The rapper actually spoke about it on her Twitter. One highlight of the song is Rosé’s ad-libs, showing fans a side of her they haven’t seen before.

Lovesick Girls

“Lovesick Girls” is a song for those who are heartbroken, reminding them that after the pain, the thrill of falling in love will come back (eventually). It’s the leading single of the album and it’s Jisoo and Jennie’s writing debut! Jennie also returns to rap her self-written verse, something fans were looking forward to since her iconic “DU-DDU-DU-DDU” rap. This track is a showcase of their vocals and you can basically feel the emotions poured into the track.

Crazy Over You

This track has an addictive oriental sound with a retro hip-hop beat. Even though it’s titled “Crazy Over You,” meaning that they are crazy over someone, it’s certainly the opposite. The song is all about seducing that one person that has caught your eye.

Love To Hate Me

“Love To Hate Me” is all about letting that toxic lover go, and how you flourish in your environment after letting that person go. After all, they aren’t worth your love nor your time. The best part of this song is, without a doubt, Lisa’s verse. She goes hard, switching her flow in the last part to then pass it off to Rosé. It’s that one song you’ll keep on repeat (at least I do).

You Never Know

“You Never Know” is the perfect ending to the journey that is The Album. The song focuses on making the vocals of the girls shine to convey its deeper message. This track speaks about how we should never judge someone by what one sees, because you don’t know what they might be going through behind the scenes. Jisoo is the back-bone of the track, as her vocals reassure the listener. This song performed live will be a tear-jerker, and that’s a fact.

The Album is a work of love and self-confidence; proof that it was certainly worth the wait. Make sure to check it out on all music platforms! Let us know which one was your favorite!

A sour patch kid raised in the small town of Villalba, Puerto Rico (she'll argue that she's from Ponce though). She's a total geek who takes everything one fandom at a time. Her major is Creative Writing.