This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Puerto Rico is a pretty small island, but there’s plenty to see. You don’t always have to scour the internet to find things to do. Our guide to local dates is regarding the area closest to the UPR Rio Piedras Campus.

El Viejo San Juan

Of course, this is at the top of our list! You might have gone a hundred times, or just three, but there’s always something to do here. Walk around the cobblestone streets (romantic, right?) or sit and watch the sunset on a chilly afternoon. Go on a day date and enjoy the views, the museums, and the piragüas. El Morro is a great place to explore. You could try and find all the hidden nooks and crannies, or you could learn some more about local history. You also have the option to go when the nightlife is booming. Take your date dancing. Try your hand at dancing salsa or stroll down to the cluster of food trucks and kiosks. There’s always a great empanadilla or alcapurria waiting to be savored.

Another fun thing to do at VSJ is to go on a walking tour. These tours can range from exploring the hidden corners of VSJ or seeing the pretty gardens. They have suggested donations, but if you’re tight on cash, well, it’s free! Find out more about these tours here.

Schedule: All day

Price: Free (or $2.00 for each alcapurria!)

Museo de Arte de San Juan

This date isn’t for everyone–some people just can’t stay quiet for more than a few minutes at a time, but if your date is an art lover, or just curious, museums are the place to go.

They offer student discounts. Take your student ID, and your chance to explore three floors of art and a garden with a pond of koi fish is just $3.35 away!

For more information about the museum: MAPR Webpage

Schedule: Open on Wednesdays through Sundays. Times vary.

Price: $3.35 ($6.70 for you and your date)

Condado Beach

Condado can be expensive, but the beach is certainly free. Condado has the benefit of a long boardwalk, a cute little park in Ventana al Mar, and plenty of places to walk around. This date is perfect for a hot day when both of you just need to cool off. I mean, who doesn’t love a little sun?

Schedule: All-day

Price: Free!

Ben & Jerry’s Torrimar

This ice cream shop is conveniently located in one of the Tren Urbano stations (Torrimar). You don’t have to have a car or even pick anyone up; just grab your date by the hand and go have ice cream! There’s plenty of seating, and it’s extra romantic at night. The staff is kind, and the ice cream is good. What more could you ask for?

For more info check out their webpage: Ben & Jerry’s Torrimar Webpage

Schedule: Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday through Tuesday – 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM

Friday & Saturday – 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM

Price: $4.00+ (Some snack items are cheaper)

Musical Performances

The bulletin boards of la IUPI are usually crawling with flyers promoting performances by little known bands in local bars. Entrance is usually free, and the bands are almost always good (at least in my experience!). This is a fun and unique date since you both get to experience an up and coming band.

Feel free to look up events like this on Facebook too [Events near San Juan Puerto Rico].

Schedule: Depends on the band.

Price: Usually Free!

Electroshock

Located in Calle Loiza, San Juan, this is easily a fun place to go to. They have tons of wacky clothes, and it’ll be fun to sort through the racks and pick goofy clothes for each other. You’ll also get to see local art, books, and some nostalgia-inducing items like cassette tapes. Right beside this thrift store is a bakery called Double Cake. They make the best cinnamon rolls.

Click for more info: Double Cake FB Page

Schedule: Monday through Friday – 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM

Saturday – 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Price: Depends on whether or not you buy clothes (or whether you splurge on a cinnamon roll)

Foreign Movies @ Lote23

Lote23 is a fun place to go to, but the food can be really expensive. Thankfully, they have a bunch of free activities. Some days you can go do yoga, and some other days you can go dance salsa. They have an initiative called #Cine23 where they do free viewings of foreign films.

It’s a cute place to go. There are string lights and there is local art. Cute, right?

For more information about their movie listings, click here to view their Facebook page.

Schedule: Usually around 7:30 pm on Wednesdays

Price: Free  

Now go have fun on your date(s)!

Image Credit: Wikipedia & Lote23

Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.