This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Let’s face it, this month has stretched out into eternity. The weeks have felt like months and everybody is ready for it to end. January has been especially long for the students at the UPR system, where the fall semester has not ended yet due to Hurricane Maria. In hopes of finishing this month already, let’s reflect on important events! But also remember our history as a new year continues. Here is a list of past events and newer ones; January in History!

January 1, 1863 – The Emancipation Proclamation by President Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves in the states rebelling against the Union.

January 1, 2018 – Kim Jong-un threatened the United States while mentioning the “nuclear button” he has on his desk. Escalating the tensions between the two countries and unleashing the unstoppable fear of a nuclear war.

January 7, 1999 – The first presidential impeachment trial in 130 years began as members of the U.S. Senate were sworn in by Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist to decide whether President Clinton should be removed from office. House prosecutors had delivered two articles of impeachment charging Clinton with perjury and obstruction of justice.

January 7, 2018 – Hollywood stars wear black in solidarity to sexual assault victims. The 60th Golden Globes made way for discussion of the surfacing accusations of sexual assault from Hollywood elites. The stars made use of their platform to speak their mind and support the #MeToo Movement.

January 20, 1945 – Franklin Delano Roosevelt was inaugurated to an unprecedented fourth term as president of the United States. He had served since 1933.

January 20, 2018 – The United States federal government shutdown. The event that lasted from Saturday, January 20, 2018, to Monday, January 22, began after a failure to pass legislation to fund government operations and agencies. The shutdown was directly linked to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) which has been creating major conflict between the Democrats and Republicans in the Senate. Everything ended after the Senate Democrats agreed to continue the debate on the DREAM Act.

January 25, 1533 – King Henry VIII married his second wife, Anne Boleyn, in defiance of Pope Clement who had refused to annul his first marriage. The King later broke all ties with Rome and became Supreme Head of the Church of England.

January 25, 2018 – Larry Nassar, former sports physician, was sentenced to up to 175 years in prison after being accused of sexual assault by more than 150 women and girls. Many of the victims spoke in court over the course of the sentencing hearing, ending with Judge Rosemarie Aquilina’s decision.

January 28, 1935 – Iceland became the first country to legalize abortion.

January 28, 2018 – Puerto Rico’s Governor, Ricardo Rosselló signed the new Adoption Law of Puerto Rico which enabled gay couples to adopt. This also opened doors for unmarried couples who are beneficiaries under the new system.

Source: History Facts

Ariana studies English Literature at UPR-RP. She loves the concept of rainy days: books, blankets, hot cocoa, and sleeping. In addition, she also likes nature, art, photography, and culture. She’s a very simple person that likes to live in the moment and to be free.  She hopes to one day become a successful writer and a world class traveler.