How to Survive the Enrollment Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

If there are three words I’ve found to be the scariest in my UPR years, I’ve found them to be: huelga, finales and matrícula. Oh, the dreaded pre-enrollment. But don’t fret, freshman collegiettes! We’ve all been there. It may seem like everyone around you is requesting and dropping classes in order to get their schedules for the upcoming semester. Meanwhile you’re sitting in a corner by yourself, unable to do anything about yours. You’re probably imagining yourself already waking up at 5:00AM for 7:00AM class on a Friday. Relax and invest your time to get ready for your own enrollment turn.

1. LEARN HOW TO ENROLL
    Whether you ask an older student or watch a tutorial on how to use the system to enroll next semester’s classes, get in tip-top shape on the how it works. When the system light turns green, you’ll most likely get a better chance of getting good classes if you already know what to do. Locate your PIN number and memorize your social security number if you haven’t already, because that’s the way you access the system. You can even download an app for your iPhone that will allow you to access the system without a computer. Enter the address “rrpadm.uprrp.edu” in the IP box, and it will automatically connect.

2. HAVE YOUR CURRICULUM HANDY
    You can pick it up in your department’s faculty office, or online if it’s available. This way you’ll (unofficially) know what classes you’ve still got ahead of you in your major, and have more flexibility in choosing whichever class you can get your hands on when it’s your turn to do so.

3. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!
    Knowing which class sections are the ones you want, how they fit together in your schedule and what professors are going to be teaching them are the most important things to consider. You can ask around your faculty, or log on to a website like El Profe Shop that allows you to rate professors from all over campus. There are also Facebook pages created by UPR students such as this one that students use for help on choosing professors. Write down possible classes and sections so you always have a backup in case any courses are closed.

4. KEEP CALM AND WAIT ‘TIL NEXT SEMESTER
    Every semester has a due date for confirmation and/or payment of your tuition. If you’re receiving federal funding for your education, then don’t forget to confirm your classes; otherwise, you should pay at least some of your tuition by the date programmed by the university. When student’s don’t do this, they’re classes get dropped, and it becomes a free-for-all. If all your things are in order, then you can access the system and request and drop classes that you couldn’t get during your first enrollment period. Keep logging on during the week before and the week of the first day of class to make sure you get the classes you want.
  5. SPEAK UP!
    Just because the course is closed doesn’t mean you definitely won’t get in. Some departments and faculties create waitlists for students and enroll them as space opens up. In special cases, professors allow more students than the university has determined, but that’s something you need to work out with each professor individually.

6. TIMING IS EVERYTHING
    Make sure you know what day and at what time your registration is, so you can be on top of it as soon as you get the chance. Set an alarm on your phone if you think you’ll forget. You can log on from your computer or phone from anywhere as long you’ve already downloaded the software and access the system through MIUPI. Keep checking back once the system has granted you access to see if anybody has dropped classes that you’d like better.

7. LAY THE LAND FOR NEXT SEMESTER
    After the first month of the semester or so, make an appointment with your academic advisor in order to get your academic evaluation. This way, you’ll officially know what your academic progress is, what classes you still have left to take and what electives will count towards achieving your degree.

Good luck! And a big HCXO to all you freshman readers.

Alejandra Camille Ortiz is a twenty-year-old young woman double-majoring in Advertising and Marketing at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She is a contributing writer for HerCampus.com.Alejandra is a social media buff that likes to keep herself up-to-date with all the new stuff on the internet. She doesn't have many worries aside from the feeling that life flying by far too fast for her taste. Her friends say she has constant nerd tendencies, is a multitasker from birth and is the go-to girl for problems that need solving.You can contact her by writing an email to alejandraortiz@hercampus.com.HCXO!
Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!