How to Manage Your Relationship and Your Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Reality Check! The new academic year has started and that means that old and new responsibilities are taking place all at the same time, and also, that wonderful summer romance has ended. Be it school, work, associations, extra-curricular activities (sports, dancing, choir, etc) or anything else that you spend time in, are all piling up. It’s no science that having many things on your plate may take away from spending time with your significant other, and the little time you actually do have, can be lingered with stress and bad attitudes. To avoid these types of damaging encounters, I have prepared a list of tips that can help you to manage a busy schedule and a relationship. But warning! BOTH of you have to put in the effort to make it work.

1. Schedule it!

It may sound cheesy, but scheduling in your dates is very important specially if you are both so busy all the time. By learning each other’s agenda can help you scoop in some time together and sometimes maybe, even surprise them with a visit!

1. Use your phone

Some people see technology as one of the things that are damaging human interactions these days, but if you use it to your advantage, it can really make a difference and even spice up your relationship! Sending a “good morning” text, calling each other before going on to your daily routines, sending a random text, email, whatsapp, etc. saying things such as “I miss you”, “Can’t wait to see you”, “I love you” has a direct effect on the communication you have with your partner. It makes them feel wanted and loved. And also makes it getting through the day a bit easier!

1. Include them in everything you do

We know we can’t invite our loved one to go work or class with us, but we can sure take them with us to a more informal atmosphere. In other words, the social environment: an after-work going to the bar, hanging out with your faculty friends, university parties. All of these can be an excellent ways to include that person in your life other than just the two of you. Also, in this matter, they get to know who your co-workers, classmates, teammates are, and believe me, the level of trust goes way up because they can now see physically who you relate with, in a day to day basis.

1. Errands, maybe?

Everybody has those days that they have a million things to do. Ask your partner if they are willing to do them with you. This way, you get to spend time together and do productive things at the same time.

1. Be supportive and trust your partner!

Having that loved one as a source of support is a wonderful blessing, because knowing that whatever you go through, they will be there has really NO PRICE AT ALL. But both of you need to be aware that hard times will come and you both may have to make sacrifices to leap into a better position in your life. Keep in mind (or tell your partner) that you are doing this to have a better standard of life together and that it will be all worth it in the end. If your partner has been good to you and lately has not been spending as much time with you, do not get jealous and think they have another person at the first instance. Always confront them in an educated way, and express your feelings. Maybe they got overwhelmed with everything and need you to put things back into perspective.

6) PRIORITIZE

If you really love this person, you have to always put them first. Obviously, your goals and responsibilities are essential, but finding that balance between your personal and professional life is even more important. In the future, when you gain satisfaction and accomplishments for all your hard work in your professional life, it’s going to be even more satisfying when you look to your side and have that person right by your side holding your hand.

*The pictures were taken from:

www.lifehacker.co.in 

www.theschooloflife.com                                                                                                                                          

Student at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. Finance and marketing major and also a soccer player at the university
Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!