How Airports Prey on Poor People + Some Travel Advice

Usually, when I travel, I like to take direct flights, since spending too much time at airports tends to give me anxiety. However, I had a layover flight recently, so I had some time to sit and wait around. While I was there, I got hungry and, naturally, went to buy myself some food. As it’s common knowledge, airport food is extremely expensive. Having to pay almost $10 for the least expensive thing on the menu had me thinking about how airports prey on the poor and vulnerable.

I mean think about it, you’re stuck in a place you can’t leave from and go eat someplace else. The prices are exuberantly high and that’s the only choice you have. You can’t even buy a bottle of water at a reasonable price, for Pete’s sake! Additionally, you’re bombarded with stores (usually expensive ones) to buy anything else you might need. Need a jacket because it’s colder than you thought? Well, good luck finding one under $100! 

I guess what I’m trying to express is that traveling is already a privilege that not many can afford, and some of those who can, sometimes have to make sacrifices to get there and cannot spend that kind of money at the airport. I want to try and help those people with some tips I’ve learned over the last few years:

1. 1. Bring a Reusable Water Bottle

Airports have water fountains where you can refill your bottle after going through TSA. As a plus, you’ll be helping the environment!

2. 2. Bring a Cardigan or Thin Jacket

This one is if you get cold easily, like me. You possibly have your luggage capacity maxed out with all your items, and adding a bulky jacket is not ideal. However, a cardigan or a thin jacket, you can easily stuff into a backpack and have easy access for when you get cold!

3. 3. Bring Nutrition Bars

You’re allowed to bring sealed packages of snacks that can go through TSA. I recommend bringing some nutrition bars that can give your stomach the illusion of being full until you can find a place more accessible to eat.

I hope these tips help you out the next time you find yourself at an airport!