This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

A few years ago I discovered the incredibly addictive world of tarot card reading videos. Long story short, my mom also got infected by this terrible disease, but threefold. However, just because I enjoyed watching these and partaking in my delusions from the comfort of my own room, it didn’t mean I actually wanted to experience the real thing. In fact, I was quite terrified to do so. Yet, all this was thrown out the window in May of 2021. 

This also happened to be the year of my (mid-pandemic) high school graduation. As I wasn’t really looking forward to grabbing my diploma in a surgical mask, when my mom presented me with the option of going to Chicago to visit my older sister, it wasn’t much of a hard decision to make. 

I remember being in shock at the amount of psychic shops that littered the corners of Chicago. My mom had already expressed interest in visiting one before we left, lo and behold, one day after a long walk, we had a conversation over food in which my mom managed to wear us down enough to convince us of this idea. My sister actually ended up finding a Groupon for a psychic, offering two readings for the price of one, plus an individually chosen stone, if I remember correctly. 

It was a surreal experience. The store looked and smelled exactly like what you would expect it to. Crystals, figures and other trinkets littered the antique wooden furniture, and the small room’s air was thick with burning incense. I, being absolutely scared, insisted on going second. When my turn came, it all was a bit of a blur, as the psychic was probably one of the most intimidating women I had ever seen. She made me sit across her desk, then shuffled a pack of cards, and chose a few. She immediately started talking about my love life. 

Now I must say that, as a teen, I was very much always initiating romantic situations. And after a few failed attempts to start relationships with people that seemed to show signs of interest, I began to question whether the problem was actually me. So, this lady had all my attention as soon as she told me that I wasn’t to blame for these unfortunate outcomes and, in fact, I would be meeting my soulmate pretty soon. Here’s what she told me it would be like, and what actually ended up happening: 

We’d meet at the end of the year

Now this felt like a straight up insult to my intelligence, because even though I thought these people would only sell me high expectations to get money off of me, I also thought they’d be a little less obvious about it. Because 6 months to find your soulmate is just too good to be true. Ultimately, I did end up meeting my boyfriend by November of that same year, and by December we were already dating. So, check, I guess. 

He’d be a foreigner

Since this one was a bit more specific, it definitely grabbed my attention. I was even more shocked when on the first date I discovered that this guy I was seeing was actually half-Mexican, and had also been born in Mexico and later came to Puerto Rico. I don’t know if I’d qualify this as a “foreigner” but I guess the point still stands. Another check. 

We’d meet near a body of water

From all the predictions made, this one might be the only one that didn’t hold up. The psychic seemed to think it might have something to do with the fact that I lived on an island, but to me this seemed like a bit of a stretch. The truth is, there was no body of water near to us the day we had our first date, other than the fact that it was a pretty rainy day in Cayey. 

There’s also the fact that it turns out I had a crush on him way before we even met, as I first ever saw him in one of my friend’s music performances in Caguas, in which, if I remember correctly, there was a fountain nearby. But now I’m just grasping at straws. 

Other than it being a fun little anecdote, I don’t really think much about this event in my life. To be honest, I don’t know how I feel about psychics and predictions in general, much less the idea of soulmates. But I do have to admit the predictions seem eerily accurate (for the most part). All in all, it was a pretty fun experience, and one I truly don’t regret. How about you? Would you ever try seeing a psychic? 

Andrea I. Rodríguez Nieves is a writer for Her Campus at UPR, where she is currently working on writing articles. Some of her topics of interest include fashion, lifestyle, productivity, amongst others. At present, she is coursing her third year at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras, where she is majoring in Political Sciences, but with eyes set on Comparative Literature. Under an internship at Seed Academy, a platform seeking to educate independent artists on the music business, she developed some educational articles on royalties, strategies for digital marketing, and others. She has also worked a summer at the Municipality of Cayey’s Public Relations division, where she was given the task of digitizing historical documents. Her hobbies include crocheting, making music, playing video games, and going on long walks. She is a matcha enthusiast, lover of anything fashion related and a resident cat lover. Her ultimate goals in life are opening a boba store in her hometown, as well as being a full-time writer.