Life > Experiences

Holiday Gift Guide for College Students on a Tight Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

How often do you know that you have to buy a gift for a loved one but don’t have enough money to buy them exactly what they want, the time to go out and buy it, and the means to make it a surprise for them? For the average college student, getting decent gifts can often be a daunting task from beginning to finish, but it’s not impossible to handle. We´ve all been there, and I think that the best way to tackle this is to think of the essentials when it comes to giving. Hopefully, this guide will help not only for the upcoming holiday season but also for any moment that you want to give someone something special.

1. Think of past conversations and plan with time

Often, our loved ones sprinkle through conversations the things that they want, or they obliviously mention possible gifts that could easily solve this problem. If you plan out what you want to get them with time, it’s possible that you´ll have more than a few gift ideas in stock. Since the life of a student is often hectic and extremely time-sensitive, I can’t stress enough how important planning in advance is.

2. Drop Hints

If your loved one doesn’t talk about the things they want, try to bring it up in a conversation by mentioning something you want. Possibly, they’ll bring up what they want.

3. If all else fails…

Ask them. The act of giving on its own is much more valuable than the importance of it being a surprise. So, in any case, if you couldn’t address the situation with enough time, just be honest. Most people will still appreciate the gift. Now, getting the gift is the next important task.

4. Study the price of the gift and compare it with your budget

Although you might not have enough to afford it right now, you might be able to afford it in a month, two, or maybe more, if you save up. You could always check if you’re able to buy said gift in a store where layaway is available. If you think that your budget allows you to buy without flaking out on your bills or any other financial commitment, go for it. But what if the money isn’t quite enough right now for what they most want?

5) Have many gift ideas, and list them in order of usefulness, desire, and affordability.

Think of all the possible gift ideas you’ve mustered, and then determine the most practical gift that your loved one wants and you can afford. This way, you won’t feel like you’re wasting money that you probably need on something frivolous, and you’re sure that they want it. If you really are broke, fear not, there are still some options.

6. Create!

I know what you’re probably thinking, but I don’t want to be cheap; or, I’m not a creative person! Were all creative in one way or another. If we don’t have the capability to create, it’s because we haven’t trained ourselves to practice creativity in the same way we practice other skills. There are so many options of good gifts that could be potentially cheaper and appreciated by our loved ones like a song, their favorite meal, something made in wood, handmade jewelry, a painting, a collection of poems, a scrapbook of important moments, a field trip to places that are important for both involved parties, a performance of sorts with a few friends, or you could even try to knit something for them. Regardless of whatever it may be, as long as there’s a genuine effort and thought put into it, your loved one will understand that you did the most you could with what little time and money you have. If, and only if all else fails…

7. Nothing is more important than being together.

As stated earlier, if your loved one really cares about you and understands your situation, they’ll be content with the simple act of knowing you took time out to be with them in some shape or form. When you have the resources and time to give them something that could possibly represent how much you care for them, you can give them a gift on any other special day, or honestly, any day. One shouldn’t limit the act of thinking about your significant other or loved one (which, at the end of the day, is what a gift should represent) to specific days.

Giving gifts can be a hassle, but we all know that more important than giving expensive gifts is showing that you’ll be there and care in any way you can for those who you love. A gift is only worth what the bond is worth, and never any more than that.

Image credit: 1, 2

Luis is a 24-year-old writer, editor and journalist recently graduated from the University of Puerto Rico at Rio Piedras. He majored in Creative Writing and Communications and has bylines published under Her Campus, Pulso Estudiantil and El Nuevo Día. During his final year of college, Luis worked as Senior Editor for Her Campus at UPR, Editor in Chief of Digital News at Pulso Estudiantil and interned at El Nuevo Día. He seeks to portray the stories of societies, subcultures and identities that have remained in the dark. Check all of his stories out at Muckrack! https://muckrack.com/luis-alfaro-perez