This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

International Women’s Day is celebrated every year on March 8th. It was established to create awareness about gender equality, the effects of gender bias, the role of women in society, abuse against women, reproductive issues faced by women, and much more. While most people are aware of all this, not many know how International Women’s Day came to be. 

ZNywHBZAhbgr69WMTN8Sj3VxSNBgcjvRdRk V1r Gc2zLXl7dT4PvT0K1mXWNFKp6ifvtgXi0F eO8VDC7udOeRrmnRN 6Wn 6KotNbbv62ybKO7WyPQ0t0NPEIgI4bs H7lnbbF11CQMdkTtvQYqc4

Pinterest Pinterest

According to the United Nations, the first milestone for women’s rights in the US was in 1848, when Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott brought together a few hundred people to their nation’s first women’s rights convention in New York. At this convention they drew the Declaration of Sentiments and Resolutions, demanding civil, social, political, and religious rights for women. However, International Women’s Day started in the United States in 1909, when the Socialist Party of America honored garment workers who had been protesting against inhumane working conditions the year prior. This led to February 8th becoming National Women’s Day.

xiojiq5MYVfBfjsTadh3 nYV6dtkIl5OLCVxBRnZE UgSszemnt19jcDD7jl2mFhEaC5O9le2vlDMs4hamfNy8quE45As8i2lzZIbPpjoQHIA98d PhccKsuUSK5PDCwkqXfvcRb40vcurQ0dhkvaUI

Pinterest

In 1910, Europe took a step forward by establishing Women’s Day at the Socialist International meeting in Copenhagen, Denmark. A year later, Austria, Denmark, Germany, and Switzerland celebrated the first official International Women’s Day on March 19. Over a million people attended protests that rallied behind the suffrage movement, educational rights, representation, and worker’s rights.

2QePwArwW9INxfsDEwI MAWlwJLftI w1oz1Iwvp9cyFTJQbi gYdPlh0Tg2QMAWUhKvUWyGo5UzHTDZVdSPRcZO qmNDWnOG4ZvP9cLl5VXanCM5pSm7hLj4 LDOza05bBp7 P mX7FI4RLABpJfYs

Pinterest

In 1913, Russian women observed their first International Women’s Day on the last Sunday in February. In Europe, on or around March 8th of the following year, Women’s Day then became a mechanism used to protest World War I, as women held rallies to protest against the conflict and to express solidarity with other activists. On April 15, 1915, there was a huge gathering in The Hague, Netherlands, where over 1,300 women from 12 countries gathered to once again protest war. Finally, in 1918, women in Russia striked for “Bread and Peace” on the last Sunday in February (which coincided with March 8 on the Gregorian Calendar), and four days later, the Czar abdicated, and the provisional government granted women the right to vote. 

CRjSe49GQ uqF0IcEZWbFH9KIVFMWvIRu90Qa4grS3ooAEDyMwvNQkscJBmzV5cTXfandUMyVXbaiFui59hihQ9 e ZArctCkKC4Ji43RglKar2pEuiSYn8Bf buQa1pxqgS2HdUQOLkaXQAVFt Dc

International Congress of Women International Congress of Women 

Years later, after the second World War, March 8 was celebrated in many countries, and in 1975, the United Nations began officially celebrating International Women’s Day on that very day. Then, in 1977, the General Assembly adopted a resolution proclaiming a United Nations Day for Women’s Rights to be observed by Member States on a day of their choosing. 

February 23, the final Sunday of February, March 19, and April 15, stand out as significant dates in the timeline of the International Women’s Day movement. So, how did March 8 become a notable date? The answer traces back to Julius Caesar and Gregory XIII. Before the Revolution, Russia was still using the Julian calendar, a system introduced by the Roman emperor nearly 46 years before Christ’s birth. This calendar was later corrected by the Gregorian calendar, implemented by Pope Gregory XIII in 1582, to rectify its inaccuracies. Today, the vast majority of nations follow the Gregorian calendar. Therefore, what was February 23 in Russia in 1917 aligned with March 8 in other European countries, explaining the significance of this date. That simple!

y7f7OduSVdu7eViOvN1Nbu8BvgYnjPqZxPLrkAjvmKo QijyDTPHWOehC2JFIvFe owRTw5jgpf3SoeoK8 Deo1ctE naCp71Pho48jQQOSIDpEthO5uJ2YhTh22kHpXVSA uWRUI112EP2bITRBE6s

Pinterest Pinterest 

Finally, International Women’s Day always has a theme established by the UN. For 2024, it is “Invest in women: Accelerate progress.” The UN expresses that the five key areas needing joint action to commemorate International Women’s Day are: investing in women, a human rights issue; ending poverty; implementing gender-responsive financing; shifting to a green economy and care society; and supporting feminist change-makers.

Ariana Villanueva is a writer at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. Her content creation focuses mainly on firsthand experiences, physical activity, and experimental fashion and even food! Prior to Her Campus, she collaborated in her high school newspaper and for as long as she can remember she has been drafting short stories, pretend news reports, and even book reports, just for fun. Having the opportunity to share her writing, beyond a grade, has been a thrilling experience for her. She is currently attending the University of Puerto Rico at Rio Piedras campus, as a political science major , and she’s eager to explore more fields of study. Ariana loves reading and spending time with friends. However, occasionally, she loves going on solo trips to the beach. Her biggest dream is to travel the world, and she’ll take her first step in accomplishing it by studying abroad very soon.