Style

Here’s How to Look Sophisticated Without Breaking Your Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Looking put together is very important, especially if you’re job hunting. If you’re anything like me, you always strive to look fashionable. Even if you’re supposed to dress up a little bit more serious, you always want your personal style to shine through. While this might be easy, you need to keep in mind that you shouldn’t spend all your money on clothes, especially if you’re in college. This guide will help you select a few must-have pieces that are versatile enough to wear with different outfits, and that you should always have in your closet.

The Classic LBD

Every woman has that one dress she feels powerful in. The iconic Little Black Dress is great because it can be dressed up or down, and it helps make you look presentable. This should be the dress that you wear when you feel like you have nothing to wear. There are variations to this, as it could be a short, midi, or maxi dress; or it could be strapless, long-sleeved, etc. The idea is that this is the dress that you always feel comfortable and confident in. Here’s an affordable option that you can dress up or down!

A Great-Fitting Blazer

A blazer is the perfect way to add elegance to a very casual or simple outfit. You can choose a neutral-colored one or a colorful one, this is a great way to make you look more put-together (and like you tried harder than you actually did!). If you’re a little bolder, you can play with different patterns and colors to add style to your outfit. The key to the perfect blazer is not exactly the color, but the fit. Look for one that shapes your body perfectly. I recommend this fitted blazer because it helps shape your body and the color will go with almost anything you wear!

Classic Nude Pumps

Not only do these go with almost every outfit, but they are amazing because they actually make your legs look longer. These are also very versatile because not only do they go with any dress, but can also dress up your casual everyday jeans. When you purchase them, make sure that they’re super comfortable because you’ll definitely be wearing these a lot! I recommend this pair because of its classic neutral shade and heel size: since it’s a smaller heel, they’re easier to walk in!

The Perfect Pair of Jeans

Jeans are always a must because they literally go with everything and are the ideal thing to wear when you don’t know the exact dress code. They can be dressed up or down and are super comfortable. Once you find the perfect pair for you, you’ll find yourself wanting to wear them every day. (Side note: while ripped jeans are awesome, opt for a less distressed look if you decide to wear them to an interview or a more formal occasion). These are my favorite pair of jeans, however, if you’re looking for a more put-together option, I would recommend these.

These are just a few items that I believe every woman should always have in her closet, however, everyone has different styles, body types, and preferences! So if you’re not a fan of heels, maybe you have a pair of a classic flat shoe that you love, or maybe if you don’t love your legs, you’d rather wear a black top with jeans than a little black dress, and that’s the great thing about fashion: there are no rules! So play with pieces that you love and find ways to style them differently.

A senior year Journalism major who loves fashion and beauty.