Her Campus Recommends: Add These Artists to Your Spotify Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

2017 has been a year full of incredible artists and a lot of new music. From Puerto Rico’s very own Despacito taking over the globe to new artists breaking out and even having K-Pop groups becoming national sensations, it is enough to support the statement made. This has been a year of musical blessings but when there is so much to appreciate, where do you start? Her Campus has got you covered!

1. Young the Giant

“Young the Giant is an American Indie Rock band, mostly known for their songs “Mind Over Matter” and “My Body”, but all of their songs are worth listening to. Their music has this chill, relaxing vibe, yet somehow they manage to do it by keeping the rock influence. Also, Sameer Gadhia, their singer, has one of the best voices I’ve ever heard (he’s BAE). Definitely listen to their Mind Over Matter album first; you’ll thank me later.  “

— Ana Ferrer, 17

2. Mamamoo

“The vocal powerhouse K-Pop girl group, Mamamoo, blows up the South Korean charts every time they release a new single. Their retro-funky sound stands out from other cute bubblegum pop groups. With songs like the 1920’s inspired “Piano Man” and the super fun 80’s anthem “Um Oh Ah Yeah”, you’ll always find a reason to get up and dance. Their latest single “Yes I Am,” is an empowering jam that tells you to be proud of who you are, no matter what anyone says. You’ll definitely fall in love with Solar, Moonbyul, Wheein, and Hwasa!”

— Aisha, 20

3. BØRNS

“The group lead by Garrett Clark Borns, stage name BØRNS, is mostly known for their lead single “Electric Love” from their freshman album, Dopamine. The sound of this group is a brilliant mix of Indie and Psychedelic pop. A lot of times the lead singer is mistaken for being a woman due to his vocals, so he has embraced his androgynous sound. He told Glamour that he “doesn’t give a f**k” about his sound or his appearance, and he is all for embracing his gender fluidity, hoping that his music inspires listeners just as much as his stance.”

— Josie, 21

4. Two Feet

“Bill Dess started this solo project back in 2016 in New York. Two Feet’s hazy and mellow sounds are as subtle as they are unshakeable. He’s only 20 years old and before Two Feet he only made electronic music, but it wasn’t until he released his EP First Steps that he got recognized and got signed to a record label. Songs like “Go F**k Yourself” and his last song “I Feel Like I’m Drowning” capture the core of what his music is based on Jazz/Blues influences. He’s totally worth it, and you won’t regret it.”

— Gabriella Belmar, 16

5. Dua Lipa​

“Dua Lipa is a British singer and composer. She’s a new sensation that is being heard throughout the world thanks to her success with the song “New Rules”. What people do not know is that her masterful self-titled album is a compendium of the most moving, fun, and relatable songs that you will hear. Her genre of music is categorized as R&B, Electropop, and contemporaneous. Guaranteed, she’s gonna blow your mind (Mwah).”

— Paola Coral, 17

Different sounds, different artists, and different backgrounds have graced streaming services and radio waves giving us something to look forward to whenever we plug in our headphones or get that record player ready for a good time. Some artists mentioned broke out before 2017, so if you haven’t heard of them, get to it!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6.

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.