Her Campus Recommends: 5 Underrated Shows You’re Missing Out On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s hard not to find genuinely good quality television these days! We have been blessed with a time where Netflix exists, and TV networks are stepping up their game to keep up with the competition. Another reason for the great content we’re getting is that writers and creators of shows are paying attention to what people actually want to see. When viewers are being more vocal about social issues and what is given to them, it’s definitely hard not to listen. The downside of this is that with so many good shows, where do you start?

Here are 5 underrated shows you need to start giving some love to:

1. Girl Boss

“After reading the name, do you really need a description to make you wanna watch it? Girl Boss is a Netflix original comedy series, based on a true story, about Sophia Amoruso’s story creating a fashion empire, known as Nasty Gal, and learning how to become the boss. The show demonstrates what female determination and strength can do; in Sophia’s case, it can create a multi-millionaire fashion company. You should definitely binge this show ASAP.”

— Ana Ferrer, 18

2. Degrassi Next Class

“Degrassi, a classic, has returned, and this time on Netflix. The show was known for tackling situations that generally affect youths. This generation is filled with diversity and it deals with things like Islamophobia, terrorist attacks, abortion, and sexuality. Degrassi Next Class has not gotten the hype it deserves! Everyone should be watching it.”

— Jeissy, 22

3. Peaky Blinders

“This drama series is about a small gang lead by Thomas Shelby, a very ambitious man that wants to remove all of the competition in the book-making market They run the streets of Birmingham on the verge of the 1920’s. The series has an amazing soundtrack that features Arctic Monkeys, The Black Keys, and The White Stripes. The women are portrayed as strong female characters, especially Aunt Polly. Each of the women in the show are feminist role models, taking on breaking female roles in a post-war society. And finally, the Peaky Blinders were a gang that existed in real life; real events are shown throughout the series.”

— Arhiadne Luna, 17

4. Outlander

“The hit STARZ series is based on the saga written by Diana Gabaldon. It all starts when WWII nurse, Claire Randall, returns home after the war to rekindle her marriage with Frank Randall as they head off to Scotland for their second honeymoon. One morning, she decides to go out to collect some medicinal herbs for her collection but is catapulted two hundred years back. She wakes up in 17th century Scotland, and, for the sake of her safety, is forced to marry the Scottish suitor, Jamie Fraser. Unlike most Film and TV adaptations for novels, the series on STARZ is 99% faithful to the plot and has descriptive details of the novels!”

—Ana Teresa Solá, 19

5. Penny Dreadful

“Penny Dreadful is one of my favorite shows of all time. It’s a premium series based on late 19th century England where the dark and supernatural creatures exist. It has an all-star cast, including the incredible Eva Green as the haunting protagonist Vanessa Ives. The three-season run makes it an easy binge because it was made as a complete story with a beautiful ending. Bonus: all three seasons are on Netflix!”

— Ileana Melendez, 19

From social problems to historical fantasy to inspiring and challenging stories, these should definitely be top contenders for your next binge-marathon, if they aren’t already. Don’t forget your snacks!  

Image credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6.

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.