Her Campus at UPR Chapter’s Top 5 Queer Netflix Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Note: This article may contain spoilers about some Netflix shows.

LGBTQIA+ week is approaching! What better way to celebrate it than supporting our most admired queer couples? In this article, our chapter members ranked their favorite out of more than twenty couples. Here are the top five queer Netflix couples according to UPR-RP Her Campus members…

5. Vi and Caitlyn from Arcane

8KZLRDih3ggKG2IehAQ7F JhDp5fQnufxj yWUMQzhNeEPDKnD1AFtCbU6Nw9QiWnDDkT9SuI4dYvLXCYN9NYhyeOL9du osWHD2KpVO4FAI 2Djw

Retrieved from Pinterest

The fifth spot is given to Vi and Caitlyn from Arcane. The League of Legends based Netflix series integrated this power couple, which stole many’s hearts. Although the show doesn’t explicitly indicate their relationship status, our “Oil and Water” ladies make obvious the existence of attraction for each other. This LGBTQIA+ representation is less clear for minor audiences, yet we are delighted by the contrast of personalities between the characters and how their sexual preferences are subtly hinted at. 

4. Sydney and Dina from I am Not Okay With This

bJwzcZMsx3lx4TOBvJN6twAiXQ VeH

Retrieved from Pinterest

Spot No. 4 is occupied by our young lovers from the Netflix original I am Not Okay With This: Sydney and Dina. More than being a teenage love that began as high school friends, this couple encourages the public to embrace their sexuality. As we already know, Dina used to be in a heterosexual relationship with a boy named Brad. However, she doesn’t see her past as an obstacle that keeps her from experimenting. Does that ring any bells? Keep in mind to follow your heart and as they say, “love has no age.”

3. Cameron and Mitchell from Modern Family

FgVkHIGnmKE8J0OexSjlwHDzp37hBRIPKPBzC2W5kL9eXwTHPyEUz MD3CMZDWPDVUKPkH13Ey mByc dSPfg7Gv 23CDqoy89kM70ejPrb8 J0NLf3ak hCzqgqCCBKg nRJkyO

Retrieved from Pinterest

In the top three, we have the Modern Family opposites: Cameron and Mitchell. These characters completely break the “it’s just a phase” ideology when it comes to homosexuality. Even so, they experience difficulties that some of us go through as part of the LGBTQIA+ community. For example, “getting out of the closet” and being accepted for it. Clearly, this wholesome couple also becomes a safe place for the spectators who have undergone similar issues. Moreover, this unique couple teaches us that it’s okay to have differences! Their energies oftentimes contrast throughout the series. However, the important thing is to accept these dissimilarities.

2. Magnus and Alec from Shadowhunters

8c8ibrhBobYDLDz0h2BNaUBXvDWM42skjtzwxS6e1wgChb0HZc mba2e9xg5t9qe8qPW5Txc4F7D61AuTGuOXUWi3tQyXdcDGkxbbG5G0JleBafOV oH7fiBVGwFNnOOBDlJ2Vce

Retrieved from Pinterest

Shadowhunters has officially climbed their way up to second place. These supernatural characters, Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood, share a passionate connection that captivates our chapter’s members. The LGBTQIA+ representation provided through these two characters reflects a realistic unfetishized relationship. It shows a healthy connection in which they collectively modify errors to grow as an efficient couple. That’s why we loved it so muchーbecause positive queer relationships and representations are a must!

1. Catra and Adora from She-ra and the princess of power

RYHufMBctgIC0 CJej4H8Pdd zW0FmbFO91U8 0Menhi2G8LMYQXt8z9BhcyZD2CoVzuYTHL7FWqryONoDDspkqkSGHC2S5wnUwbuHtCAd wO5LNTlqEv4

Retrieved from Pinterest

The top-ranked queer Netflix couple of HC UPR-RP is Catra and Adora from She-ra and the Princess of Power. These rebellious soldiers, who began as childhood friends, experienced ups and downs throughout their developing relationship. At some point in the series, their relationship turns into the intriguing cliché of the enemies-to-lovers trope; and, later on, as sapphic lovers, providing representation to lesbian, bisexual, and pansexual individuals. Plus, we must admit that they’re made for each other and their differences make the series an enjoyable one.

Love comes in all shapes, colors, and genders. The tendency of judging people by their preferences totally overlooks the meaning of love, which is mainly a shared feeling between individuals. Overall, we must cherish diversity and practice inclusivity of a basic human need: to create connections. 

Kiara Roman is a writer and Social Media Co-Director of the Her Campus at UPR chapter. Through her articles she discusses a diverse spectrum of topics ranging from research analysis on animal abuse to listicles about cozy room decor. Her writing inclinations vary according to her momentary interests, which makes her one of the most diverse writers in the chapter. She has been part of several organizations including Pulso Estudiantil, Puntos de Fuga and Awkwardly Vain magazine. Her academic aspirations diverge as she studies Human Resources Management and Interdisciplinary Studies while engaging in multidisciplinary extracurriculars. Internship-focused experiences are at the top of her resume alongside communitary participation in her institution, Universidad de Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. A kaleidoscope of interests drive her curiosity into exploring new hobbies in art, literature, gastronomy, and sciences. Her free time is filled by imagined universes or video game-raging. Explore her next hyperfixation in her upcoming articles.