Healthy foods and workouts that may sooth PMS symptoms!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Bloating, tummy aches, excessive whining, from cuddle mode to a demon-like fiend.  These are some of the experiences and emotions we face during our time of the month.  We also have to deal with waking up to an unexpected Japanese flag, as well as experiencing Niagara Falls while we sneeze or laugh, strengthening the joke.

One of the worst things that happen during our menstrual cycle is the irresistibility of sugary and/or greasy cravings that are exactly what our bodies do no not wish we’d consume at that state. Here are the recommended foods to eat during our tedious time:

Greens

Any leafy greens are exclusively essential throughout this time because they are rich in iron, a mineral composed of hemoglobin that helps in the transportation of oxygen to your entire body from your lungs.

Bananas

Eating bananas before bed may ease the pain and provide you with a good night’s sleep since it contains melatonin (antioxidant good for comfort and falling asleep easier), magnesium (helps keep a normal blood pressure), and potassium (maintains acid-base balance and synthesizing proteins).  Also, bananas are one of the best sources of energy that may motivate you to start your routine!

Dark Chocolate

FINALLY SOME SUGA’! It’s actually a very effective sugary craving that can help uplift your mood and it is filled with antioxidants, and may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Drink Water

It might seem self-explanatory but as you drink more water throughout your period, the more you stay hydrated and the easier it is to dispose excess water build up. 

Any foods such as Nuts and Salmon that contain fatty acid Omega-3 can benefit you because it helps relax muscles and lessen the tension that causes cramps.

Exercising is almost as efficient as Midol pills to calm your PMS symptoms and improving your mood now that it can stimulate brain chemicals, leaving you happy and satisfied. Staying active during this week can seem difficult but a mild routine can help you get through it. Understandable that the last thing you might want to do when the one in red takes over is to perform any sorts of rigorous movements, but there are exercises (believe it or not) that can help reduce cramps and bloating. 

Yoga

Carry through simple yoga poses that promote the highest relaxation for you and any that you feel comfortable doing.  You may do so by doing some breathing exercises and stretches that involve the abdominal and uterine muscles.

Jogging

If you don’t feel like jogging a mile, it’s okay, we know! But it is highly beneficial for you to do so if you desire to stay active and not let your period interfere.  In fact, it is one of the most effective exercises to subside your PMS symptoms. So, you choose!

You may effectuate any medium-intensity aerobic/cardio workouts but keep in mind that it should be kept in a mild level to prevent harming yourself!

Remember that it is possible to endorse a healthy eating and active lifestyle without Mother Nature standing in our way!

Irene is currently fulfilling her dreams as a creative writer and journalist at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. This writer finds her inpiration within a well-brewed cup of coffee and introspecting thoughts about life. Her biggest aspiration is to impact others with her envisage of the world and the world that resides in her mind. She enjoys to discover new music and new concepts that ponder her thoughts. She tends to lose herself in Chopin Nocturnes and dance, identifying herself as idealistic with everlasting appetance of what the future holds for her.