HC at UPR Recs: 5 Card Games for Friendship Nights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The best moments I have had in my life have been, mostly, because of my friends. Several of them have been with me for years, while others arrived very recently. I’m happy knowing that my own friends have been able to love each other and, above all, that we love spending time together. Like any group of friends, we created a chat through an instant messaging app. In this chat, we can spend the whole night talking about memes, movies, or series that we have seen recently. In short; we can talk about everything.

Now though, current times haven’t allowed us to go out like we used to pre-pandemic. However, my friends and I haven’t allowed the new “at-a-distance” lifestyle to harm the great bonds that we hold as friends. With proper safety measurements, we found a way to continue growing those bonds together: game nights. Game nights have become a sacred activity for us where only we attend. It’s as if we were having a private party and, if you don’t have an invitation, you can’t come in. Between food, drinks, and lots of laughs, we play several fun card games.

If you want to have game nights with your friends, these five card games are a must!

UNO

UNO is the classic card game. It’s even characterized as being a game that breaks friendships (it’s a fact). Still, it’s a lot of fun to play! UNO tries to get all of the players to take their turn trying to match the card they have in their hands with the card that is in the pack, either by color or by number. It’s quite addictive because once you start, you won’t want to drop the game until you get a chance to yell “UNO!” and win the whole thing. I don’t deny that it can be frustrating, but believe me, it’s a lot of fun between friends on a game night.

Raitrú

When I got the chance to play Raitrú, I became obsessed with the game. Raitrú is literally the Puerto Rican version of Cards Against Humanity. Basically, the game tries to fill the blank in the red cards according to the best option that each player has in their hands using the black cards. For each round, a player will be the judge and will determine which is the best that fills the blank according to all the cards placed on the table by each player, and the winner of each round gets to keep the red card. This goes on for a couple of hilarious rounds. Whoever gets the most red cards WINS! What makes Raitrú special is that the phrases are taken from everyday Puerto Rican slang, popular culture and lifestyle, and what better way than to spend a night talking and laughing about Puerto Rican slogans?

For The Girls

If you’re looking specifically for that girls-only card game, this game is for you! For The Girls is a game created for people over the age of 17+ due to the fact that it contains adult content, and it’s super fun to play. It comes with 5 different card packs: “Most Likely To…”, “Truth or Dare?”, “Rapid Fire!”, “If You Ever” and “Best of the Best.” These packages are distinguished by color. The idea of ​​the game is to roll the dice and the color that comes up is the card that the player is going to refer to. It’s up to the players to decide what the penalty will be in the case that a player doesn’t want to do what the card states, such as taking a shot for every denied challenge. Whoever has the most cards at the end is the winner!

One Night Ultimate Werewolf

This is a stressful but fun strategy game that makes you enjoy every moment. One Night Ultimate Werewolf is about a village that is being attacked by wolves and a minion. Inside the cards, there are different characters. Each player goes to take one of the cards and can see the character that they touch. Then, using the game’s phone application, it dictates the things that each character can do. Be careful, for that part, all players have to keep their eyes closed. Once the story is over, players debate to decide who they think the wolves are. Here it’s worth lying! In the end, everyone votes who they want to assassinate. If they kill the minion or one of the wolves, the villagers win. If they kill a villager, the wolves, and the minion win. The main idea is to try that, when voting, everyone votes for a single person in particular and always tries to find out who the wolves are. I’m not denying that it tends to be stressful, but it’s a lot of fun to play with friends.

What Do You Meme?

If you love memes, you will love this game. What Do You Meme? is similar to Cards Against Humanity, but instead of filling in the blank, this time the cards will say what the meme wants to represent. All the players give their possible answers to the judge, and it’s the judge who decides which phrase best fits the photo of the meme. The more phrases you have, you will win the game. This is a game to put your creativity to work to have the perfect phrase for the memes of the game. Believe me, you and your friends will laugh a lot.

So, if you and your friends are looking for card games to share with everyone, check these out. You will not regret buying them! Every time I play games with my friends, we always end up laughing because they’re so entertaining. Each of these games are easy to find at a local store or online. Sharing among friends is the best, and what better way to do that than with challenging and fun card games!

Yarelis Ortiz Rivera is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus. She’s studying a bachelor's degree in Political Science and a minor's degree in Human Rights. When she isn't doing college work, she has her nose buried in a book or reading academic writings for gain of knowledge and research. Yarelis Ortiz Rivera is out here to do was right with passion in her heart!