This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Ever felt the weight of your to-do list on your shoulders? Or like you need at least 72 hours of sleep? That’s basically me every Monday. Unfortunately, I just don’t have enough time on my hands to sleep more than eight hours a night.  I can, however, treat myself and my tired face for a two or three-minute face massage, and you should too.

A post shared by EcoTools (@ecotools) on

Face massages, or any type of massage really, are a great pick me up. They’re also a fantastic way to kick up a notch your skincare routine. A lot of the time, when we think about face massages, we think of costly spa days and expensive products. How do you massage your face exactly without going to the spa? The facial roller is here to save the day.

Facial rollers are little sticks with oval stones on attached to either end. You literally roll the stones on your face in an upward motion. Usually, they have a smaller stone on one end so you can use it under the eyes. A lot of people use the facial roller with some sort of serum or facial oil, but you can also use it on its own, just makes sure it’s clean!

The use of the facial roller helps to relax your facial muscles and promote circulation. Although they’re called facial rollers, they’re not limited to the face. You can use it on the neck and on the shoulders, which tend to be areas with a lot of tension.

The idea of rubbing a stone all over your face might seem a little weird and counterproductive, but in my experience, it works and makes a huge difference. Not only is it relaxing and cheaper than getting facials, but it also has a ton of benefits for the skin:

• Improves circulation.

• Helps the skin absorb products better.

• Reduces skin inflammation and puffiness (buh-bye under eye bags).

• Brightens complexion.

• Anti-aging.

Since I started using a Jade Roller I noticed a tremendous difference in the appearance of my skin: my face felt less tense and it made me look and feel more awake in the mornings. It is important to use upward motions to increase blood flow. This helps the lymphatic system get rid of toxins, which helps you feel and look better while reducing and preventing wrinkles. You can also use any type of serum or oil to make the roller glide more smoothly, but it is not necessary.

You may have heard of a Rose Quartz roller, it basically serves the same purpose as the Jade roller, but the stones have different healing properties. Jade is believed to remove the negative energy in the air while the rose quartz attracts love and positivity. Both aim to reduce inflammation and have the same benefits mentioned previously: brightened complexion and improved circulation.

Jade Rollers are inexpensive, easy to use, highly effective, and don’t require a lot of time. You can get one on Amazon, Marshalls or T.J.Maxx. I got mine from Marshalls for $9.99, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It’s great! You can get the Jade Roller I use from T.J. Maxx or you can get the GingerChi Jade Roller from Amazon.

What are you waiting for? You can get one of these for under 20 dollar. You don’t need luxurious face washes, creams and masks to take care of your skin and its appearance. You can keep it simple and sweet and still have amazing skin. Also, a tip from a user, stick it in the fridge and then roll it on your face for a really refreshing facial on a hot day!

Criminal Sociology Student Photographer Aspiring writer Day dreamer