HC UPR Recommends: Anime Series That You NEED to Watch This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Anime. These Japanese-styled cartoons have recently begun to flourish in the West, despite their beginnings being as early as the start of the 20th century. People of all ages have started watching popular shows like My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan within recent years, leading them into a genre of television that has won over fans from all over the world. Originating from the manga, a Japanese form of comic books, these fantastic stories have no shortage of missing TV categories, with tropes covering adventure, fantasy, a slice of life, horror, action, comedy, sports, and so much more. 2019 has arguably had one of the strongest starts within anime in history, and you don’t want to miss out on these hit-new shows that are dropping episodes right now:

1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War

Kaguya-sama: Love is War (Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai – Tensai-tachi no Ren’ai Zunōsen) is a romantic comedy anime about student council president Miyuki Shirogane and vice-president Kaguya Shinomiya and their secret feelings for one another. Although it’s obvious to the audience, the two have never actually confessed how they feel to the other, which leads to many different schemes and wars between them to get each other to confess first. In their minds, whoever confesses their love first loses. Shirogane and Shinomiya have their own unique quirks and flaws, and throughout the show, they develop their relationships with each other and the rest of the large cast of characters. Comedy and romance clash in Kaguya-sama: Love is War, in ways that are surely unexpected by all.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War premiered on January 12th, 2019, with new episodes being released every Saturday.

2. The Rising of the Shield Hero

The Rising of the Shield Hero (Tate no Yūsha no Nariagari) is a fantasy anime that revolves around Naofumi Iwatani, a university student summoned into a parallel world. Along with three others who were also summoned, they are each given the task to become the world’s Heroes and are given valuable assets to help them do so, such as teammates and equipment. However, Naofumi is only given a shield, while the other heroes are given weapons. After traumatic events happen to him, he meets a young girl with strange and powerful abilities, and she becomes the sword to accompany his shield. A story of action, betrayal, fantasy, and much more, The Rising of the Shield Hero is sure to be a fun and thrilling ride for any anime fan to watch.

The Rising of the Shield Hero was released on January 9th, 2019, and new episodes come out on Wednesdays.

3. Mob Psycho 100 II

Mob Psycho 100 (Mobu Saiko Hyaku) is an ongoing action-comedy series about a boy named Shigeo Kageyama, more commonly known as Mob. Mob has the undeniable appearance of someone who looks unimportant (Mob means “background character”), while in fact, he is an esper with uncontrollable psychic abilities. The stress of what could potentially happen as a result of losing control often weighs down on Mob, and so he takes on a job working for “con-man” Reigen Arataka to somehow learn to control his powers. Although he wants to live a normal life, trouble follows him everywhere he goes, and Mob must learn to keep his emotions completely and totally under control…even if they threaten to burst.

Mob Psycho 100 has just started releasing new episodes again from its second season, Mob Psycho 100 II, scheduled to become public every Monday starting January 7th, 2019.

4. The Promised Neverland

The Promised Neverland (Yakusoku no Nebārando) is a dark fantasy thriller anime series. Set in the year 2045, 38 orphans live together in Grace Field House while preparing to be adopted by potential parents. Their caretaker, Isabella (whom the children lovingly refer to as “Mom”), lets the kids do whatever they like on the grounds, with one simple rule: not to venture outside the gate. When one of the orphans is sent away for adoption, Emma and Norman (two best friends, and two of the oldest children) venture outside to return something that was lost. However, what they find is something that changes their lives forever. With a haunting soundtrack and an incredible atmosphere, The Promised Neverland is sure to leave you at the edge of your seat with its famous cliffhangers.

Released on January 11th, The Promised Neverland has new episodes out every single Friday.

5. Dororo

Dororo is a dark fantasy/supernatural story about a boy fighting to reclaim his stolen body. When a ruthless daimyo makes a pact with 48 demons to make himself the most powerful human on earth, the demons ask for one thing: 48 pieces of his child’s unborn body. The father agrees, and the boy is born malformed and faceless, without any internal organs. He is found and raised by a medicine man, whose skill in protheses makes the boy (known as “Hyakkimaru”) virtually invincible in combat. Hyakkimaru sets out to claim vengeance for his stolen body, first striking after the demons and then after his own father. Along with his travels, he meets a young orphaned thief named Dororo, and the two travel together from there on out. A masterpiece based on the work of famed manga creator Osamu Tezuka, this thrilling and modern retelling of a classic story will certainly become unforgettable by old and new fans alike.

Dororo’s first episode was released on January 7th, 2019, and new episodes come out every Monday.

Now all you have to do is sit back and relax because you’ve got some anime-watching to do this season.

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Aimar B. Galarza is an undergraduate English Literature student in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus aspiring to become a future editor. She has a passion for anything to do with books, film, writing, music, and acting. She enjoys playing the piano and guitar and has also participated in various musicals as a dancer, singer, and actress, one of them being "Homeroom the Musical" which was presented in Ponce, Puerto Rico and later on presented in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Last but not least, she's also a voice actress on YouTube (AimyAngel) who's collaborated in fan dubs, audiobooks, and animated episodes.