Have You Met Our Track & Field athletes Of Rio 2016?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

This year at Rio 2016, Puerto Rico had 42 athletes representing our island, in which 12 of them were competing for Track and Field.  A few are second generation puertorricans and others were born and raised here. But they were all aspiring for the same goal: for Borinquen to rejoice through trying times and for them to fulfill their dreams as well. Here is a little insight on their performance in Rio and their overall career:

Alysbeth Félix (Heptathlon)

She is the first woman to represent Puerto Rico in this worldwide event. Her personal best is 6124 points in total.  During her competition, she ended with a total of 5805, 26th position from 32 competitors.

Wesley Vázquez (800m)

After being absent in 2015 for a hamstring lesion, Wesley managed to recover and made 1:44.75 winning his place at his second Olympic Games.  His personal best is 1:44.64. Unfortunately, he didn’t make it to the semifinals with a time of 1:46.96.

Andres Arroyo (800m)

Arroyo made it to his first Olympic Games with a time of 1:45.78, being this his personal best and #58, unlike Wesley Vázquez who entered #18. He made it to semifinals with 1:46.17.  He earned 7th place in this heat with a time of 1:46.74, not assuring his spot at finals.

David Smith (high jump)

His first Olympic Games with a personal best of 2.29m. He ended 12th place on his heat and 23rd overall out of 43 competitors with a 2.26m jump.

Luis Joel Castro (high jump)

Luis is a gallito from La IUPI! His personal best is also 2.29m, he made it to semifinals in 12th position and ended 13th overall with a 2.25m jump.

Celiangelys Morales (200m)

She assured her position to Rio 2016 at the NACAC last year celebrated at Costa Rica with a time of 23.03, being her first Olympic Games. She earned 5th place on her heat improving her personal best with a time of 23.00 seconds.

Fun Fact: Puerto Rico has been part of the Summer Olympic Games a total of 17 times, the first one being London 1948.

Javier Culson (400m w hurdles)

Two-time world sub-champion and two-time Diamond League champion. His first Olympics were at Beijing 2008, where he didn’t make it to semifinals with a time of 49.85 seconds. However, received a Bronce medal at London 2012 with a time of 48.10 seconds. This year, our Culson was expected to win a medal, but after making it to the finals with a time of 48.46 he gave the first false exit of his career, disqualifying him form the race.

Eric Alejandro (400m w hurdles)

He qualified to his second Olympic Games at a competition in Tórtola with a time of 49.16, his personal best. At Rio, he made it to semifinals with a time of 49.54.

Jasmine Camacho Quinn (100 w hurdles)

Jasmine Camacho had the chance to represent USA, but instead chose to represent her mother’s land, Puerto Rico. She started the season by breaking the national record since 1993 of Joyce Meléndez (13.22) with a time of 12.83 which she continued improving to 12.69 which gave her a spot at Rio 2016. She made it to semifinals with 12.70 but on her way to finals she tripped on one of the hurdles losing the speed and coordination she had and couldn’t qualify to finals.

Grace Claxton (400m w hurdles)

She started representing Puerto Rico at international competitions in 2011. These were her first Olympic Games which she qualified with a time of 55.90 at NCAA. She did not make it to semifinals with a time of 55.85 at Rio 2016, but improved her personal best.

Diamara Planell (vaulting pole)

Student at the University of Washington, Planell achieved her personal best but also the national record with 4.50m at the Mt. SAC relays. With a height of 4.15m she didn’t advance in her first Olympic Games.

Beverly Ramos (marathon)

Beverly assured her position at her second Olympic Games at New York’s Marathon on October 2015 with a time of 2 hours 41 minutes and 56 seconds. She improved her time at Germany with 2:36.29. She has the national record at 10k with 33:17 and also at the half marathon with a time of 1:12:09. At London 2012, she competed at the 3000m S/T but after doing an excellent job at longer distance races she decided to try the marathon at Rio 2016. She finished 71 place out of 155 with a time of 2:43.52.

Fun Fact: The Olympic Team has won a total of 9 medals (1 gold, 2 silver, 6 bronce).

We must always remember that being able to be at these competitions entails sacrifice and excessive training. It’s not easy to stand where they stand now. Enduring the pressure that they have  while millions of eyes are watching (your country, your family and friends,etc..)  wishing to not let them down. They may not have brought home the gold but many surpassed their expectations and their personal best. It is because of their determination that we feel pride for their accomplishments and thrilled that they represented our beautiful island worldwide.