AC cover
AC cover
Mia Jackson

Happy Home Paradise: Best Parts of the New DLC and Is It Really Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I’m not gonna lie, as soon as I saw the Nintendo Direct for the Animal Crossings: New Horizon Happy Home Paradise DLC, I adored everything in it and decided I needed it. In this new DLC, players can design villager’s vacation homes, both on the inside and on the outside. The villagers give you a theme you’ll have to use when designing their homes, but other than that, you can let your creativity run free. Almost 3 months from its release and I can say that I absolutely love it and I’ll tell you why.

1. Niko and Wardell

Niko, the monkey, and Wardell, the manatee are the absolute cutest characters from the new DLC. They both work at Paradise Planning, so they are your coworkers. Niko wears a tiny hat and the Paradise Planning shirt, making him  the winner for best character for many players –probably because he is adorable. To add to his cuteness, he’s probably the smallest Animal Crossing character that’s not a kid. Wardell, on the other hand, is a shy manatee, considering he barely says anything when you try to talk to him. 

2. You can use tons of items even if you don’t have them on your storage

While designing some of the villager’s vacation homes, I’ve seen some of the items I’ve wanted to decorate my own island and home with, but hadn’t managed to get my hands on, like all of the fruit furniture and the cute floor lamp. I’ve also seen some of the new items like the cave, the greenhouse box, and the nordic furniture. Even though I don’t have those items on my island or my storage, with the DLC I’m able to use how many I need to decorate houses on the Happy Home Paradise archipelago. 

3. More daily DIY recipes and access to items difficult to get in your island

Since the release of the DLC I’ve started to collect the moss DIYs that appear on the beach. Buying this DLC will help you build your DIY recipe collection. The Paradise Planning office has a store where you can find items that will be more difficult to come across on your own island. In that store, you can buy items using the island’s currency, poki, which you earn while working on decorating the vacation homes. Every time I play on the DLC, I end up buying so many of the amazing items even if I don’t need them. 

4. You can design other facilities

Happy Home Paradise is not just about decorating the villager’s vacation homes, you can decorate some of the buildings around the main island of the archipelago too. If I’m not mistaken, the buildings are a school, a restaurant, a café, and a hospital. You choose the building’s colors and then design the insides however you want. After that, you get to choose which of the villagers in the archipelago will be working there. In my school building, I have Olivia, the cat, as the professor, and she looks absolutely dashing. 

If one of your fave Animal Crossings: New Horizons features is the ability to show your creativity through decorating spaces, you’ll absolutely adore Happy Home Paradise. I’ve been truly enjoying the DLC so far, and it’s worth the $25 dollars it costs. I’m sure if you buy it, you’ll love it too.

Angélica is a Comparative Literature in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's a wannabe writer that can be found cuddled up in her bed reading a book. Her biggest obsession is Harry Potter and anything to do with it. She has a lot of dreams for her future and hopes to work in a publishing house someday.