This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Haikyuu!! Is probably my favorite anime. I love every single character in it (except for Shiratorizawa’s coach; I hate that guy). It’s a much bigger issue when the teams go against each other; in which case I will inevitably ask myself the same question that I usually do in this scenario: for whom should I root?! Every team is great in their own right. Each of them has their own unique personalities and ways to play. From their school chants to their uniforms, it is difficult to pick which one is the best. So, after a lot of evaluation, here are the best teams in each category.

Best School Chant:

The chants of the public are an important part of the games. They set the mood and can change the players’ whole demeanor for better or for worse. While there are impressive (but annoying ) chants like Inarazaki’s, Date Tech takes the best chant award. It’s simple and sticks to your mind like glue. I sometimes find myself going “Go,go! Let’s go, Dateko” without any reason. Honorable mention to Shiratorizawa because they almost won the title. 

Best Team Uniform:

My friends and I have had fights about this one. The truth is, it’s really difficult to pick the best uniform out of all the show’s teams. At the end of the day, it depends on the viewer’s aesthetic preferences. In my eyes, Nekoma and Fukorodani are the top contenders. You can’t go wrong with the combinations of colors they have. In the end, I think Fukorodani wins. Black, white and gold is just simply superior…It also helps that my favorite character is on this team. 

Best Jacket/Tracksuit: 

Look, I know what you’re thinking: “You already chose a uniform!” Well, tracksuits might be complementary to the uniform but they aren’t the uniform. While Fukorodani’s tracksuit is great (kinda fancy not gonna lie), there is no better tracksuit than Aoba Johsai’s. I don’t know what the jacket has, but I have my heart set on buying it! 

Best Play: 

From Oikawa’s amazing sets, to Kageyama’s legendary setter dumps, Haikyuu!! is full of amazing plays. Every time a big play happens it gets your heart running and makes you want to scream at  the screen. Most of the anime focuses on Kageyama’s and Hinata’s quick attacks. That’s why it is a surprise when Kageyama is the one hitting the ball. Without a doubt, Karasuno has the best play. In the video, 40 seconds in, Suga sets the ball to Kageyama, setting the perfect scenario for us fans to scream, cheering our lungs out.

Best Coach: 

Was this ever a question? Ukai and Takeda have done everything and anything to help the Karasuno team members get where they are. They never give up on them and give moral support and advice when they need it. Sure, Nekomata is also a nice coach, but Ukai has no responsibility to help these kids, and Takeda knows nothing about volleyball, and yet there they are (Shiratorizawa’s coach, however, takes the Worst Coach awardーhe sucks). 

Best Motto: 

All of them are good. Karasuno’s (“Fly”) is simple but inspiring; Inarazaki’s “We don’t need memories” sounds badass. The motto gives you a clue of the mindset of the players and the way they play, like for example, Shiratorizawa’s is “Strength”, the thing they value the most. It’s because of that that Aoba Johsai takes the cake in this one. All they want is to “Rule the court” and make it to nationals. And if the fact they never made it doesn’t make you cry, you are heartless!  
There are a lot of great things in Haikyuu!! I could spend days rating and categorizing and trying to choose the best team. But the truth is that Haikyuu!! as a whole is the best. Everyone should take the time to watch it and appreciate it. And if you already did, which other category comes to mind and who is the best in it?

Alana is currently in her fifth year, studying Comparative Literature in the UPR Río Piedras Campus. She loves books, superheroes and mythology. Will sing any song that she knows (even if she can't sing to save her life) and is always tired. She dreams with someday writing a book.