This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Fofé Abreu is one of our most special Puerto Rican artists. Perhaps considered the icon of Puerto Rican alternative music and one of the pioneers in the phenomenon of rock in Spanish on the island. This year, he reaches his 20 years of trajectory. Twenty years offering us music para mover el esqueleto, twenty years doing what he likes most and sharing all his energy, style and good vibes with all of us.

To commemorate the anniversary, José Luis Abreu (Fofe’s real name) decided to hold a very special concert where he had a repertoire of all his hits and even brought with him invited artists. This activity occurred on October 12 and 13, both dates filled with their faithful fans.

Fofé and iLe at the 20th-anniversary concert

Fofé has had different groups over the years of which he has been involved. Beginning with Manjar de los Dioses, with whom he debuted his first rock album in Spanish entitled “Manjar Místico” in 1997. After a few years together with Manjar, he released two more albums called “Aromas” and “Alucinando”. Then in 2001, he made his debut with Circo with his album “No Todo lo que es Pop es Bueno” that includes songs like: “Ódiame”, “Cualquier Día es Gris”, “Historia de Amor” and many more. Also, continuing with Circo, he released “Cursi” that contains songs like: “Soy un Extraño”, “Velocidad Luz”, “Antes del Fin” and so many more bops to dance or to simply listen and delight.

After a few years and after continuing to produce many other hits with Circo, it moves on to a new stage, the most recent one; Fofé y los Fetiches. He made his debut with his new band in 2013 with the album “Lujo Esterno” and the most recent “La Juventud” in 2016. Both albums are full of bops that I recommend you listen to if you have not done so.

(Circo the band)

In these 20 years, he has had the opportunity to have all kinds of concerts that go from the Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián (or how we say, the SanSe) to the José Miguel Agrelot Coliseum. He has participated in different festivals and has been nominated for several awards as a Latin Grammy Award for Best Alternative Song and Latin Grammy Award for Best Rock Song.

(Poster for the 20th anniversary)

Fofé, you are great, and we are proud of your 20 years of success. We hope you have many more years of music and success. Keep cheering us with what you do!

Creds: 1, 2, 3, 4

Paola is a young writer who enjoys sharing advice and helping others. She is currently finishing a BA in Statistics and likes to use her spare time to have fun with friends and family.