First Look at Studio Ghibli’s New Theme Park: Concept Art and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

What with their acquisition of Marvel Studios and the rights to the Star Wars cinematic universe, it seems like Disney is slowly but steadily taking over. Never fear! On the other side of the world, the Japanese film studio, Studio Ghibli, is haciéndole la compe. The successful animation studio, in addition to their popular Ghibli Museum, has announced the opening of a theme park inspired by film classics, such as Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo, Whisper of the Heart, and Spirited Away.

Image Cred. The Japan Times

The park, originally slated for 2020, will open in central Japan in 2022 and emulate the worlds created by the films like the haunting village from Spirited Away. It will feature small cinemas, themed-play areas, exhibits, and a recreation of the cute antique shop from Whisper of the Heart, as well as the recurrent European-styled red brick towers.

Here’s a first look at this new theme park, courtesy of NHK, and the concept art, by Aichi Prefecture.

Image Cred. Forbes

Image Cred. The Japan Times

Image Cred. Highsnobiety

I don’t know about you, but I’ve already added this to my bucket list. These films are honestly so inventive that you’re left thinking about them days after watching them. If you haven’t yet fallen down the rabbit hole that is Ghibli films, run! No, but seriously, the worlds are amazing and I cannot wait to see them brought to life and physically experience them.

BA in English Literature at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. Avid reader of fiction: fantasy, paranormal, contemporary, and certain classics.  Can be found browsing Pinterest, spontaneously singing Disney songs, or finding new ways to procrastinate. Speaks fluent sass and movie quotes.