Fencing Pro: Jabnyell J. Ortega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Name: Jabnyell J Ortega Rexach

Age: 20

Classification: Third Year

Fave Food: Comida Criolla

Major: Accounting / GEOP Management Supply Chain

Hobbies: Fencing, Track and Field (Sports)

Relationship Status: In a relationship (Girlfriend) 

Zodiac Sign: Taurus 

HCUPR:How would you describe yourself in three words?

Jabnyell:Leadership, Commitment, Creative.

HCUPR:Do you have a hidden talent?

Jabnyell: Composer & Singer.

HCUPR:What is your biggest achievement? 

Jabnyell: I participated in the Panamerican Games in Toronto, Canada 2015. I’m also a member of the National Team Fencing Foil Puerto Rico.

HCUPR:Where do you see yourself in the future?

Jabnyell: As a businessman with my own Fencing Club Company. Also, studying law and working for the biggest company in Food Production or Technology.

HCUPR:What have you learned so far at La IUPI?

Jabnyell: How to express myself better to other people and I have discovered my talent and capabilities. I have learned how to study by myself, the basics to manage a business, and how the economy of Puerto Rico works. 

HCUPR:What do you look for in a partner? 

Jabnyell: That they help me become a better person and she has to have similar goals and dreams.

HCUPR:How do you spend most of your free time?

Jabnyell: In the Church and with my family and friends.

HCUPR:What’s your idea of a perfect date?

Jabnyell: Go out to a restaurant and eat good food or watch movies and laugh.

HCUPR:What are some words you live by? (Motto)

Jabnyell: Nothing is imposible, Discover your purpose, a warrior never gives up and the people that give up never become a warrior.  

HCUPR:Who is a person you really admire and why?

Jabnyell: My father because he made me the person that I really am. And all that I have or have achieved is thanks for him and God.

HCUPR:When did your interest for music started?

Jabnyell: I started to take interest in music when I was in 8th grade with my best friend. 

HCUPR:When did you started to sing and write music? 

Jabnyell: At the same time that i got interest in music I started to write and sing around 2008-2009.

HCUPR:Whats your favorite genre?

Jabnyell: Rap.

HCUPR:How much time have you practiced fencing? 

Jabnyell: Since August of 2002 and I have 13 years of experience. 

HCUPR:How was your experience in the Canada Trip?

Jabnyell: The experience was magnificent and really special, starting with the privilege to represent Puerto Rico in the highest performance that any athlete can achieve before the Olympics. Also, the facilities and the people there were very nice. 

HCUPR:What did you do in Canada?

Jabnyell: In the trip i was able to compete and train before the  Panamerican Games. I got to know the beautiful city of Toronto really well and had the opportunity to meet people from other countries like: Mexico, Republica Dominicana, Venezuela, Estados Unidos, etc…

Madelyn is an undergraduate Marketing Management student at the University of Puerto Rico- Río Piedras Campus. She is a multitasking genius who can tame Wild beasts while baking cookies. On the pink side of things, she has been a contributor for the UPR chapter since September 2014 and on May 2016 became Campus Correspondent of the UPR chapter.