Fashion Designer: Karina Pacheco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Name: Karina Pacheco

Age: 22

Major: Journalism

Year: 4th Year

Relationship Status: Single

Horoscope: Aries

With big fashion companies ruling the earth, we often get tired of the same styles, same brands, and search high and low for clothes that differ from the usual trend. Something local, something fresh, something…dare we say, shameless.

Look no further! An inspiring fashion designer who stitches Caribbean with Funk in every outfit, our Campus Profile of the week, Karina Pacheco, has just what you need!

Karina created her fashion line, Karifresca, no less than 7 months ago. Her clothes are all handmade, using sustainable sources like Fair Trade. 

“I like funky prints, like cacti, and wiener dogs!” She laughed. “I find inspiration from the Caribbean, the sun, and the hot climate; and I ask, ‘what’s something young people would wear to college, to the beach, day to day clothes?’ That’s what’s behind Karifresca.” 

Her inspirations come from all sources, be it pop culture, Star Wars, and many more! Her major in investigative journalism has helped her not only in creating a basis for her fashion line, but also to educate herself and her customers in knowing what they’re buying, who are they buying it from, the materials that are used, and where they come from. 

“I’ve been a single mom for over a year now,” she explained, “when I started sewing, my first project was to make clothes for Fidel. It’s a bit of a challenge to keep him busy while I sewed and designed.  It has helped me grow as a person and helped me understand the strength we as women have.”

And with this in mind, Karina is part of a group of diverse women called Terequeras who share a space in a store called ‘Tereques’ in Calle Loiza in Santurce. These women are from different backgrounds who share a passion that they want to dedicate their lives to.  

And what’s in store for Karina and her fashion line after graduation? “I hope for Karifresca to grow and get everyone to wear my clothes. I would love to have a business, expanding from this one work-at-home mom small business, to something bigger so that people in Puerto Rico can do something that’s ours.”

Karifresca is an amazing fashion line, made by a woman with big dreams, incredible talent, and a touch shameless.  You can find her on Facebook and Instagram!  Also inupcoming events like the Fashion Revolution Show in Santurce Pop on April 21st, in Old San Juan and el Museo de Arte Contemporáneo the following weekend, and in the Bazar De madre! at Calle Loiza the next one! 

Gabriela Taboas majors in English Literature in the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus.  While editing articles, she also writes fictional stories, dabbles in poetry, and tries to survive the day with only one cup of coffee. She's been a Her Campus contributor since 2014 and Campus Correspondent since 2015.