Driver License-less Student’s 101 on How to Get Around

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s safe to say that when someone obtains their driver’s license, they’re immediately eager to drive around. Whether it’s to get coffee or groceries, they’re willing to do anything to get out and drive for as long as possible. However, that isn’t the case for everyone, and especially so for license-less students. Being a student without a driver’s license can be hard (take it from me), but it’s not impossible to get around places if you know the right ways to go about it. Even though most university students live on campus grounds and don’t need to drive unless they need or want to, other students who don’t live on campus do need to make the journey to and from university every day. 

There can be several reasons as to why someone doesn’t own a valid driver’s license, and here are three ways to get around without having one:

1. Public transportation

Public transportation is a great way to get around. From bikes and buses to trains, it can be the fastest way of getting where you need to go. With its affordable prices, it makes it an even easier option to consider when needing a ride. Trains are especially capable of avoiding car traffic, for example, so apart from the cheap prices, you’ll be getting to destinations both safer and faster. 

2. Uber/Lyft

I know, I know, these two aren’t the most budget-friendly of options, but they’re deeply reliable. With Uber, you can even choose the type of ride you want, whether it’s a car, an SUV, or whatever else you’d be more comfortable in. The estimated wait time for the ride will always depend on traffic or the distance between you and your Uber driver. And, if you’re someone like me, who’s anxious and nervous all the time, wearing headphones during the ride might be an even more comfortable alternative.

3. Carpooling

You may be wondering why I left this one for last, but it makes total sense as you’d be depending on another person for a ride. For instance, I often depend on my mother to take me to the nearest train station so I can get to my university classes, but I’m highly aware that this option won’t always be available to me.

tHINGS TO CONSIDER

These three alternatives will vary for many, and you should take into account your budget, your time, and most importantly, your location. For those who live the farthest from campus, time would be an even more important factor to consider. Waking up earlier than most and leaving, at least, an hour before classes start is a must. Especially because you never know what circumstances might delay you on the way.

Now, if you live where I live, public transportation, unfortunately, isn’t all that reliable, but it’s still an option to consider. It’s also important to add that most metro stations require you to walk or get there by car, complicating an already difficult situation. Cases may vary, and if this is the case for you, then there would be additional costs to consider. 

Additionally, when relying on these alternative transportation methods, students have to make sure they have everything they need for their day on campus. If you’re like me, forgetting things like my notebooks, documents, or even lunch, pains me knowing I can’t drive back to get them. Therefore, a percentage of students who don’t own a valid driver’s license may carry around additional stress. However, if there’s one thing I’ve learned is that writing things down helps to not forget or leave behind anything important. 

Remember that, even if you own a valid driver’s license, a car or other types of reliable transportation are not a guarantee. It’s also worth mentioning that most of us who don’t drive sometimes make this choice, not because we don’t trust ourselves, but because we don’t trust other people. This is why having these methods of transportation as a primary source or as alternatives can help expand your knowledge on how to get around, especially in one’s area.

Carla Gonzalez Clifford is a newly formed writer here at Her Campus UPR chapter! She’s passionate about creating, writing, and overseeing her interests regarding this generation’s culture. While she finds every genre easy and fun to read, Carla prefers articles related to pop culture, in her 20s topics, or anything based on zodiac signs (she'll eat that up for breakfast, lunch and dinner). Additionally, she’ll over analyze entertainment, fantasy, and topic articles related to books, skin care or anything to do with Taylor Swift. She’s a fourth-year student, studying Political Science specifically Foreign Policy and Woman Studies, with a minor in Women and Gender Studies. Outside of college, however, she’s a fitness expert at Best Buy, where she’s been around for over a year now; learning, coaching, and selling fitness and recovery equipment. Outside of the University and work realm, Carla has almost no time for extracurriculars activities, but when she does, her life becomes a little better. For instance, reading and listening to music are two of her all-time favorite hobbies. She also has a deep obsession with the Game of Thrones universe, House Targaryen being her favorite house over House Stark (unpopular opinion). Lastly, if she’s not busy with school, work or reading, being outside (specifically walking on the beach) brings her peace and comfort.