Dear Mr. President, an Open Letter to Donald Trump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Dear Mr. President,

I begin this letter by telling you that your win was an incredible shock to all minorities. We expected this to be a satire from your part to show us that we still live in an era where racism, xenophobia and homophobia rule the land (of the free?). All of us secretly wished that after your win, you’d give your position to someone more qualified. But we were wrong. Instead, many, were found looking for places to start over. The American Dream wasn’t that, it became a nightmare, a social spectacle for the world to see.

When you were doing your campaign, at first it was a joke. Joke’s on us, right? Joke has become the fear of many wanting to move out. It is fear that is driving the people. The fear of not being able to wear a hijab, because they could be called terrorists. The fear of walking late at night, because someone might hurt them. Let’s not forget African-Americans, who have gone through so much this year with the racism and hatred that was consuming this country. What will happen to them? How will the inmigrants, tell their children that the space they live in isn’t safe. How will we explain to future generations that 2016 isn’t a year we want to talk about? You want to make America great again, by sending us to the 1900’s.

What do we say to the women who ferociously fought for our right to vote? How do we tell them that our current “leader” has no previous political experience? How do we tell them that someone underqualified beat a woman (who had her share of controversies) for a job that she has worked for her entire life? How do we tell the girls out there to go on, when they are being raised in an environment that is bound to scare them?

You have impacted us, sir, in a way no man has ever done. You got away with remarks as “grab them by the pussy” and how it is all locker room talk. Is your locker room filled with the likes of Brock Turner, Bill Cosby and Jared from Subway? Because none of us believe that this is what you were taught, considering you were in a female’s womb. Mr. Trump, why do you hate minorities so much? Why do you hate latinos? According to you is because we are taking away your jobs. Some wish your presidency had been taken away. Why do you hate the LGBTTQ community? Why do you think that only black people kill? When your predecessor is a black man himself.

It is not funny to call for Latina beauty queens “Miss Piggy” or “Miss Housekeeping”. It is not funny making fun of others for their disabilities, like you did with that reporter. And it is less than amusing to see how your campaign and your rallies were filled with ignorance.

“Let’s pretend that we’re two people and you’re not better than me.” A lyric from Pink’s infamous song Mr. President, written for George Bush. The very same man that didn’t want us voting for you. Does it tell you anything that the 6 living presidents didn’t want you in the Oval Office? Does it tell you anything that, as soon as you won, people were protesting?

This election wasn’t about having the first female president. It was about who was more qualified for the job. Who was more tolerant to issues. Who had better answers or better solutions to things that were affecting us. We, the minority, sincerely hope that your win doesn’t get us more endangered.

We want a world filled with better opportunities, a world with more capacity than this, an educated world. But instead we got fear for our safety.

Who will speak for us as a mironity? You?

Did we really deserve this?

Did we really deserved being belittled?  

What do you have to say for yourself Mr. Trump? 

Nahir Robles was a former member of the Her Campus at UPR chapter from 2013 until 2018. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Integrative Biology. Some of her interests include writing, modeling, and wrestling. She is currently a Her Campus Mentor and works as a Pathology Assistant.