This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I’m a firm believer that you should have a website of your own. Creating your own website may feel like a daunting task. Even if it’s not easy to create one, it’ll be beneficial in the long run. First, you need to take the time to develop your ideas for your website and “your brand”, like for example, what kind of things do you want the viewer to see when they go to your “home page”, and what kind of content or services do you want to present, and is your website for a business or a personal blog? These are all questions you have to keep in mind when you decide to create your own website. Nevertheless, this whole process of pouring your mind into making your ideas concrete can actually be a fun one with the right tools in hand.

Why would you want your own website?

Having a website bumps up your professionalism to a whole new level. It demonstrates that you are committed to your goals either as a businesswoman, a writer, or an artist, and it also shows that you are willing to network with people from around the world. 

Networking is a huge asset in today’s world, and making smart connections is the key to success. While some people may be too shy to demonstrate what they’re capable of, others are already showcasing their work, no matter what people think. To all those shy people out there: Do not be afraid to showcase your talent! I assure you, there are people out there waiting to see your work and offer you opportunities. The best way you can display your product is through your own website, promoting it as best as you can. 

For those that don’t know where to start building your website, first you will need a domain name which, in simple words, is the name that your website will have. To have your own domain name, there are various web hosting sites, such as Bluehost and HostGator. Each of the host sites has different types of plans according to what you need for your website. I recommend starting with the “Basic Plan” if it’s your first time creating a website. Do your research for each hosting site to see which one fits you better, and then proceed to create your own domain name. 

After getting your domain name, you will need to install a website builder such as WordPress or Wix. Personally, I am using Bluehost as the provider of my domain name and WordPress as my website builder, and it has worked wonders for me while designing my website. From what I’ve seen, Wix is more user friendly for beginners, but is not so great when it comes to compatibility in different devices such as mobile phones or tablets. Nowadays, everyone uses their phones and it’s important to have a good website builder that lets you see your website clearly and without any complications in both a desktop and a phone.

WordPress is more complicated when it comes to tools for design because it has so many options and plugins that you could use to build your website. Plugins are software components that add a specific feature to an existing computer program, and one of the plugins that I absolutely love in WordPress is called Elementor. Elementor is a website editor where you can simply drag-and-drop content to your website design, just like the Wix drag-and-drop editor. The best thing about all this information is that there are YouTube tutorials that lead you step by step to create your own magnificent website. 

All in all, just remember to not be afraid to showcase your talent to the world that’s waiting for you. Having your own website can truly be the beginning of a world full of possibilities.

Aimar B. Galarza is an undergraduate English Literature student in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus aspiring to become a future editor. She has a passion for anything to do with books, film, writing, music, and acting. She enjoys playing the piano and guitar and has also participated in various musicals as a dancer, singer, and actress, one of them being "Homeroom the Musical" which was presented in Ponce, Puerto Rico and later on presented in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Last but not least, she's also a voice actress on YouTube (AimyAngel) who's collaborated in fan dubs, audiobooks, and animated episodes.