Cheerleader Alert: Melanie Neff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

HCUPR: What year are you in, how old are you, and what is your major?

Melanie: I am in my fourth year studying Public Relations in the School of Communications.

HCUPR: You were part of teen singing group, Teen Divas. How did this project begin? How did you guys meet? How did you get your big break?

Melanie: I was walking in a park with my mom and a woman came up to me and asked me if I sang, I said yes! That same day I went with my mom the the woman’s house in order to audition for the group. I sang “No me enseñaste” from Thalia and was chosen for the group. We signed the contract the next week and went into recording our first album and music video.

HCUPR: How was the dynamic between you?

Melanie: We were friends and did our homework together during travels and studio recording. 

HCUPR: Did you get to tour? Where?

Melanie: We toured in the Dominican Republic for two months, Venezuela for 3 weeks, and Panamá. We visited television programs, newspaper interviews and we participated in many children activities, like expos and concerts at hospitals. 

HCUPR: Any stories about your career that you remember and could share with us?

Melanie: We won an Ixa award for best children group in Puerto Rico. We also had Barbie dolls that resembled us, mine had freckles.

HCUPR: Why did Teen Divas end?

Melanie: The contract ended and I guess we were all getting older and the concept of the group began to fade. 
HCUPR: Have you tried to get back into the entertainment business? Why or how?

Melanie: I really enjoyed working in Teen Divas, but after it ended I was very sad and decided to dedicate myself to my studies, family and friends.

HCUPR: Now in college, you are in the cheerleading team. Tell me a little bit about your experience there. How long have you been cheering in and out of the university?

Melanie: I’ve been a cheerleader for 3 years know and we train 3 days a week, all year long. Before college I never did cheerleading, but since I was a gymnast for 4 years, I could still tumble. I tried out for the team and got chosen to do gymnastics that first semester. After that I really wanted to be flyer so I lost 10 pounds and trained really hard. In the past two Justas I participated as a flyer and gymnast.

HCUPR: How was the experience in Las Justas. What do you feel once you step on the mat?

Melanie: The feeling is amazing you feel an adrenalin rush that is both nerve wracking and great. I get nervous every year, but I know that there is no shaking in cheerleading.

HCUPR: Taking into consideration your collegiate education, your experience with Teen Divas, and cheerleading, would you ever get back into the entertainment industry?

Melanie: Definitely, I love performing and maybe after my graduation I will like to participate in something related to the entertainment business. 

HCUPR: What does the future hold for you?

Melanie: I know that it will hold great things because Teen Divas, dance, cheerleading, and gymnastics have given me the discipline and endurance to go on and try my best at everything I do.

Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!