Celebrating Galentine’s Day: A Day For Friendship Appreciation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

A few weeks ago, I had a conversation with a friend where they confessed they had never celebrated Valentine’s Day before. When I, appalled, interrupted and asked why, they answered: “I have never been in a relationship during the holiday, therefore I thought there was no reason to celebrate it.” The gasp I gasped. The yell I yelled. You have no idea. I went down a spiral and thought about how many people all over the world think the same thing and choose not to celebrate it just because they don’t have a partner. Sadly, I don’t have any statistics that can help us measure just how many people have this mentality. However, it is important to highlight that feeling alone is never an option during Valentine’s Day.

bBcheEdT8pF3WihL0yPpjSeHcWBD1tcpVtd0 kNhqGUdRbmBp8kgBAAMnCnsZS1SlN6yizHUlbSD9W9nf4qmDJsLROc4b3yUkc5gU5v jJgX4wyjKVHwdIPKl42FJPWY0Z1iPXpr66z1UdM4I8wC3Mw

Retrieved from Pinterest

Celebrating non-romantic relationships is essential during this day. The Pacifican said it best, it’s time to “reclaim Valentine’s Day as a day to celebrate all different kinds of love, not just romantic.” And what better way to spend it than with your go-to pals and gals? 

For those of you who are currently shaking your heads in confusion, Galentine’s Day, explained better by Cosmopolitan, “is the friendship version of V-Day–a day all about celebrating the platonic love between the women and non-binary people (and friends of all genders, really) in your life.” It is usually celebrated on February 13th, a day before Valentine’s Day. However, some decide to screw the system and celebrate it the same day–that person would be me (and my gals)!

Galentine’s Day is an excellent occasion to get together, go to brunch, have a glass of wine and appreciate each other. Be there for each other. Although partners are the main attraction, friendships have an equally strong significance and bond. Friendship, in itself, is love. It’s calling each other at 3 AM to gossip about failing situationships and corny looks. It’s laughing instead of crying for the 69 you got as a grade because you needed just one more point to pass the class. It’s coordinating a crying session each week to blow off some steam. It’s going out to commemorate all the good and bad times that linked you together in the first place. 

Instead of choosing to spend the day alone watching The Notebook or Pride and Prejudice and listening to Taylor Swift’s “All Too Well” (10 minute version, ofc), choose to have a watch party with a side of karaoke to spice things up. Gather in unison to celebrate the most unique and humble type of love there is… friendship. 

bo4YXJt1Flb4TDT3hmtvk5qmz9K7f22Sk2OKyx C6Z0Bm7z6jGFIgyfSs7jqwjtUWSCdwIH5 aflttzUEVRa 9mcOEZT90E8O73uxvybpUTm3Egd8p7DokJ0sIjQ nGUnuZ0wP8JAu ii5R 31X7M

Retrieved from Pinterest

Pennélope Alers López is the team's secretary and a writer at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. Pennélope's favorite topics to write about range from entertainment to academics. She writes a bit of everything! Beyond Her Campus, Pennélope works as a Barista at Starbucks Escorial. She loves serving warm coffee and putting a smile on everyone’s faces. She is also a junior at the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus, completing a Bachelor's degree in Special Education. In her free time, Pennélope enjoys doing arts and crafts and spending time with her dog, Lilo. She is also a rom-com aficionado—she has a list of over 100 romance movies and series that she has watched throughout the years.