This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

La IUPI is one of the few places at Puerto Rico that offers the History of Art program. This program is essential for the student’s general knowledge about life, culture, the world – it helps understand everything, using a more profound way of viewing ideologies”. Professor Nilsevady Fussá forms part of the University of Puerto Rico culture, being one of the most iconic figures in the History of Art concentration, at the faculty of Hummanities. Having the opportunity to take classes with her, opens your eyes to what all the civilizations offer to society and how different point of views intertwine. She inevitably convinces you to love art to it’s fullest essence.

Name: Nilsevady Fussá Ayuso

Classes: Ancient World: Rome, Egipt, Greece, East, Western Art

Hometown: Humacao, and raised in Yabucoa

Zodiac Sign: Piscis

Graduation Year from la IUPI: (1973) bachelors degree in Art History

HCUPR: Tell us a little about yourself:

Fussa: “I was born old and have been growing into a young woman. I say I was born old because I was too formal in my childhood, but now I’ve loosened up to life and feel happier and free. I do what I please, within a margin, of course. As a professor, one has to create a class where the student body comprehends the material and enjoys it as well”.

HCUPR:  Did you always want to become a teacher? Why?

Fussa: “No, I think I started giving class by accident. At the beginning, I didn’t know what I wanted to be professionally. I knew I liked the greek; it fascinated me. My mom got me used to watching epic and greek movies, and reading mythology books. Once I arrived at college, I started to study with a group of people that wanted to study abroad later in their careers. Traveling opened my eyes and gave me a different vision towards history. That’s when I realized I wanted to study art history”. 

HCUPR: Why History of Art? What is the importance of the Humanities faculty for the students of la IUPI?

Fussa: “For me, art history is everything. It’s the complete knowledge because it explores the art, history, literature, and culture in general. I think it’s a complete discipline”.

HCUPR: What is your favorite part about teaching college students?

Fussa: “The thing I love the most is being able to communicate to them what I like and, most of the times, see the students’ faces when they like the material I’m giving in class. For me, that feeling is like discovering the world”.

HCUPR: What is your favorite History of Art class and why?

Fussa: “My favorite section is the Ancient World, because it’s the awakening of humankind. Little by little, it explores the process in which we got where we stand right now, and to see how these civilizations developed and surpassed their past. With art, this process can be clearer”.

HCUPR: Who is your favorite artist and your favorite art piece?  

Fussa: “In the part of history I enjoy teaching, there are few known artists, which is the Greek world. My favorite art work is the Christ on the Apse of Saint Climent of Taull. The author of this piece is unkown. It’s a representation of Christ from the preromanic period, in the zone of Catalunya. I find the gaze fascinating. But, in general, I love all the art work from the ancient world”.

HCUPR: What message do you want to give to Humanities students that are starting to build their thesis?

Fussa: “When you start building your thesis, you need to have the right tools and a theme. With the tools, I understand that the student body of the University of Puerto Rico has their limitations, in terms of grammar. I always recommend that they take writting, editing, and style classes. Also, it’s ideal to make the thesis related to Puerto Rico, so the work can help with the art studies of the country”.

HCUPR: What was your thesis about?

Fussa: “My thesis was about metal crockery from the first millenium BC, in the Iberian Peninsula. Originally, I was working with jewerly from the Ancient World in Spain, but when I was almost finished with the work, I discovered that another student had a very similar thesis them and already presented it. I had limited time to think about a new theme, so I decided to refocus my thesis in objects that were found near jewerly”.

HCUPR: I know you have traveled a lot. What country has been your favorite & why?

Fussa: “There is never a favorite country, because one likes every single one of them for different reasons. I was very impressed by India. It’s a country full of spirituality. You can perceive the dignity in the people’s aura, no matter the social caste to which they belong. Obviously, I loved going to Greece and Egypt. Also, Machu Picchu impressed me a lot, because the view made me think that it is the basement of the sky”.

HCUPR: What is your goal teaching History of Art?

Fussa: “My goal is to awaken the student’s desire to travel and know other cultures. I wish to open an opportunity to them, so that they stop going to Disney and have the opportunity to visit other places. The world is bigger than you think”

A 20 years old millennial in Puerto Rico, studying art history & journalism at the University of Puerto Rico.