Campus Cutie: Joshua Alvarado

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Name: Joshua Alvarado Arguinzoni

Age: 19

Classification: Sophomore

Major: Generales

Hobbies: Playing Guitar and Reading

Zodiac Sign: Taurus

Relationship Status: Taken

HCUPR: Describe yourself in three words:

Joshua: Over-confident, smart-ass, and kind.

HCUPR: Tell us about yourself:

Joshua: Next semester(Spring 2016) I will join the Ensamble de Jazz de la Universidad de Puerto Rico- Recinto de Rio Piedras. Also, I’m an Estudiante Orientador and I have a Super Beetle ’72.

HCUPR: Why did you join El Ensamble de Jazz de la UPR-RP?

Joshua: Not only can I express myself musically, but Jazz is super complicated when you play it but when you have the opportunity to play in a solo everything turns very simple. Also, I joined because you can express yourself in various ways through music, especially jazz.

HCUPR: Favorite Food?

Joshua: That’s a hard one… a Medium-well Steak with Mashed Potatoes with Cheese and Bacon on top. The less Americanized version would be Mofongo con Camarones.

HCUPR: What kind of literary genre do you like?

Joshua: I like a lot Science Fiction and Spy Fiction; writers like H.G. Wells.

HCUPR: What are your favorite books?

Joshua: The Bourne Trilogy and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, because the characters are really badass and they overcome the impossible. On my sweet side, The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska, the majority of John Green books.

HCUPR: How many books do you have?

Joshua: Like 300. I’m running out of space to store them, my bed is a bookshelf, my closet is filled with them, they are everywhere.

HCUPR: How do you spend most of your free time?

Joshua: If I’m not playing guitar or reading, I like being with my friends. Also, watching Netflix, I like listening to music and tuning my car. It’s a VW Super Beetle from 1972. It was my dad’s and I inherited it.

HCUPR: Who are your favorite artists?

Joshua: For guitarists I have to say John Mayer, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix, and John Petrucci. Also I like to listen a lot to Blink-182, You Me At Six, City in Colour, and Death Cab for Cutie.

HCUPR: Favorite song?

Joshua: Covered in rain by John Mayer.

HCUPR: Where do you see yourself in the future?

Joshua: If I am not a psychiatrist, I would find myself in clinical psychology; there’s a worldwide boom to help people with mental health problems. They need to know they are not alone in their problems and that they have people who want to help.

HCUPR: What’s your idea of a perfect date with your girlfriend?

Joshua: It was the day I asked my girlfriend to be my girlfriend. I invited her to drink coffee at La Marqueta in Hato Rey. We where there like for an hour, talking about stuff because I was still nervous to actually ask her. When I asked her, I took her hand and she said yes. We came back to la Iupi and it was the beginning of the semester concert and La Sonora Ponceña was playing. We were under La Torre listening to La Sonora Ponceña and I kissed her by the “heat of the moment”. Let’s blame it on that *Laughs*.

HCUPR: Favorite quote:

Joshua: “Someday I’ll fly, someday I’ll soar, someday I’ll be so damn much more ‘cause I’m bigger than my body gives me credit for” –John Mayer

Madelyn is an undergraduate Marketing Management student at the University of Puerto Rico- Río Piedras Campus. She is a multitasking genius who can tame Wild beasts while baking cookies. On the pink side of things, she has been a contributor for the UPR chapter since September 2014 and on May 2016 became Campus Correspondent of the UPR chapter.