Campus Cutie: John Polanco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Chances are you have seen this handsome fella walk around campus with that endearing smile on his face and have asked yourself, “Who is he?”.  John Polanco exudes a quiet charisma rarely seen these days and provides an adorable laugh that charms basically everyone that surrounds him. 

Name: John A. Polanco Velazquez 

Age: 22

Major: Molecular Biology

Relationship Status: Single

Hometown: New YorkFave Food: I welcome all types of food

Fave Place: The World

HCUPR: Tell us, what do you aspire to after you graduate?

John:  I want to enter to med school and keep on traveling. 

HCUPR:  Word is youre a world traveler. How do you plan to merge this lifestyle later on with your medical profession? 

John: I will always find the time to travel.  For starters, it’s invigorating!   It helps you develop new skills as you learn new perspectives, helps you create cool stories to tell….  No one looks back fondly on a trip to the grocery store, but after white water rafting in Costa Rica, snowboarding like a maniac on the Patagonian mountains of Argentina or floating at the Dead Sea in Israel, you get the best feeling of freedom and excitement. So, for that and many other reasons, I will always find time to travel. “Why travel?” Why not?

HCUPR:  Has there been a place, in Puerto Rico or abroad, that hat has truly captivated you? 

John:  I’ve been in some gorgeous places in my life and all of them have captivated my attention in different ways, but among all the places I would have to say that Italy and China take the gold. On one hand, there’s Italy: full of history, art, culture, beaches, pizzas, gelatos, and beautiful, passionate citizens.  On the other, there’s the “little place” China, a fascinating country with a intriguing history and a culture full of mystery. 

HCUPR:  What is something youve seen abroad that you wish you would see more in Puerto Rico?

John:  Small underground jazz clubs. Something not too crowded where one can lounge and enjoy the music like they have in New York City.

HCUPR:  Lets talk accents. We are all bound to fall for one in particular.  Whats one you can never get tired of listening to?

John:  I truly love accents, from a thick Russian accent speaking English to an Irish one in a local pub.  There’s something about the Argentinian accent that I can’t seem to get enough of…I’ve even found myself imitating it.

HCUPR:  Now, when looking for the right partnerwhat do you wish to find in that person that would differentiate them from the rest?

John:  A loyal soul who craves new experiences and adventures. Someone driven, confident and “talkative”. Like my grandma once said, “Be with someone you can talk with endlessly”.  

HCUPR:  Describe the perfect first date.

John:  Frankly, for starters with good company you will always have a good time, and dates depend on the circumstances. I’m a believer that one must always maintain an open mind to new things and therefore it is really difficult to say what and where that date would be. With this being said, a future “perfect first date” could be something interesting and exciting, mixed with a time for laying back, relaxing and getting to know each other on a deeper and intellectual level.    

HCUPR:  I see youre an animal lover. Talk to us about your pets.  Is there any way you can choose a favorite? Your secret is safe with us.

John:  Well, I have two Labrador Retrievers and one Calico cat, but I don’t think I can particularly choose a favorite one.  I like them equally in their own unique way.  

HCUPR:  Overall, how has your experience as a IUPI Natural Sciences student been?

John:  It has been a rollercoaster of emotions but I’ve seemed to manage and enjoy a social life. 

HCUPR:  Youre bound to be stressed when studying for finals and those endless tests.  How do you blow off steam?

John:  Going out with a close group of friends and having a few cold ones. 

HCUPR:  Lastly, what is something you wish to share that not many people know?

John:  I think I’d prefer to keep the mystery alive [laughs].

Francheska Natalia is a minimalistic loving, Audrey Hepburn worshiping and Rocky Balboa enthusiast. Living between the midst of dreams and reality, she often finds joy in spending various hours pinning soft hued pictures on Pinterest. Cars, motorcycles (especially Triumph), action heroes (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis, you know the originals) make her heart skip a beat. Her love for Michael Bublé, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Bobby Darin, Elvis and Ella Fitzgerald makes her want to live in another era where midi skirts and and kitten heels are considered for casual outings. She believes elegance shall never be out of fashion and neither will sass, it’s her charm.