Campus Cutie Héctor Rodríguez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

This week’s campus cutie is a transfer student and we’re very lucky to have him on our campus! Not only is he an Art History major, he models and dabbles in acting (don’t know if he’s a triple threat yet!). Similar to our Campus Celebrity this week, this cutie has represented Puerto Rico not only in local fashion shows in the island but also in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and in catwalks over at the United States. He’s a romantic at heart, even if he won’t admit it, and he has some anecdotes for us. Come meet the other half of this week’s power couple with mesmerizing eyes, an amazing smile and a great talent for drawing!

Name: Héctor Manuel Rodríguez

Age: 21

Year of studies:​ Junior 

Major: Art History

Relationship status: Taken! (by our current Campus Celebrity)

HC: You’re a transfer, right? What convinced you to come study at UPRRP?H: I started studying at another university for all the wrong reasons. They gave me an athlete’s scholarship and another one because of being in the Honor Roll so I decided to go there because my other options never appealed to me. I noticed all of this wasn’t even necessary because the coach here called me and invited me to their “try-outs” for a possible scholarship but sadly, I had already said yes to the other option. After two years of studying something I didn’t like, I decided to apply to the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras campus, they accepted me and here I am! I’m studying something I love and in a campus worthy of my appreciation.

HC: Where do you see yourself after graduating?H: I would love to be an actor, but I’m still working on my skills. The acting business in our country is not one you should aspire to live off from. After completing my Bachelor’s Degree I wish to get into UPR’s Law School. All my life I have been related to law offices one way or another (one way being the fact my mother works at one). I’ve noticed that it’s something that I like but if the opportunity to grow into an acting career outside Puerto Rico (or locally) then I would gadly accept it.

HC: What’s the one thing you love about our campus?H:The atmosphere, definitely. It varies between faculties but, there’s generally a calm atmosphere around campus (except in Naturales during finals week) and the people are really friendly. The perfect example of this is the guard at the campus’ entrance – yes, the one who says good morning to everyone.

HC: Okay…what’s the thing that you like least?H: The thing that I don’t like – and every student will agree with me – is the process of choosing our classes (better known as matrícula). It’s so tedious and the fact that you might have to sacrifice a class you really want for one you kind of need stresses everyone out.

HC: What are some of your hobbies?H: I love to draw. Drawing is something that I enjoy doing in my spare time and in fact, I always carry a sketchbook with me. So, if one day you see me staring at you it means I’m probably trying to study you so I can draw you (with a paper and pencil) later and not that I dislike you or anything similar. As a hobbie I have also taken up modeling and I’ve been doing that for three years.

HC: What’s something modeling has brought into your life?H: I’ve discovered a passion for acting. It wasn’t until I participated in my first competition and took my first acting class that I noticed how much I liked it. Thanks to modeling I’ve also had the chance to travel to places such as the Dominican Republic and New York, so I’ve enjoyed it a lot! But it isn’t all about the trips, I’ve also met amazing people (one of them being my girlfriend).

HC: It’s Valentine’s week! What is your ideal date?H:It’s funny…many people think Valentine’s Day as a day for couples and friendships whereas my brother, sister and I think about my mom’s birthday. In terms of a Valentine’s Day date then…that’s complicated because my girlfriend is currently in New York and we’re not sure when she’s coming back. But my ideal date would be to go watch a play (preferably something humorous) then go to a restaurant and finally spend some time at a relaxing place, having a nice conversation.

HC: What do you look for in a partner?H:I’ve never been one to look for specific things, if I like you then I like you simple as that. But some things that I like in a woman are her smile (I like to be with someone whose smile is contagious), someone I can mantain a non-forced conversation with because I like challenging and non-superficial topics of conversation and I think the most important one is someone who trusts me and I can trust back. Above everything though, I look for someone who can make me happy, someone I feel like I’m making them happy too, and I can say I was lucky to find. 

HC: Last but not least, what’s your favorite memory?H: I can’t pick a favorite one because then I would be lying. One memory that I like, a lot, is the moment I met my niece Andrea. I remember I was getting home from a basketball practice and when I came back she was lying down on the living room. When I saw her, something cursed through my body that I can’t explain, I was in shock. After I came to my senses – and took a shower – I went back and lied down beside her so I could carry her. That has to be one of the best moments in my life up to date. It was such a special moment that I can’t put it into better words and ever since then she’s been a ray of happiness and sunshine for the whole family.

*all photos were taken from Héctor’s Facebook and Instagram

Double Major Student in Human Resources and Marketing Management. She loves Social Networks, Netflix and spending time with books once in a while. She is the oldest of three children therefore she is very responsible, humble and driven. On her spare time she manages to find time to talk to a camera over at her Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/AshleyMarie9521. She wants to change the world, doesn't know how yet but she wants to. "Live like you're at the bottom, even if you're at the top."