Campus Cutie: Esteban Martinez!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

When I first saw this cutie, he was signing up for an Oratory class in Naciones Unidas. I remember hanging out with him at Avenida Universidad that night after a meeting and thinking this was one of the nicest people I had met so far in college. Fun fact: While I interviewed him, he spent the whole time singing Hotline Bling. A great debater and friend, meet campus cutie, Esteban Martinez!

Name: Esteban Martinez

Age: 19

Year: Second year

Major: Political Science, International Relations

Hometown: Toa Alta

Relationship status: Single

Zodiac sign: Aries

Fun fact: He was a Boy Scout and loves High adventure stuff like camping and hiking. Model United Nations.

HCUPR: What’s the best quality a person can have?

Esteban: Being charismatic towards others and being secure of themselves. If you’re not sure of yourself, then how can you be happy in life?

HCUPR: What’s your perfect date? Partner?

Esteban: I won’t lie, she has to be physically attractive. Not a model, but she has to be pretty, I have to like her. But mostly? Personality is really important. If she’s dull or rude, she’s out. She has to be charismatic, sure of herself, great conversation starter, she has to like being with me. Everyone has their flaws, but she likes me and I like her and we get along so well. For a perfect date, first, I’d have to see what the perfect date is for her. It wouldn’t be perfect if she doesn’t think it’s perfect. It all depends on her personality, but I would take her to a restaurant. I’d go cliché on that and obviously pay.

HCUPR: Describe yourself in three words

Esteban: Charismatic, humble, and stubborn but in a cute way. I have strong opinions and I like defending them.

HCUPR: What’s your biggest accomplishment?

Esteban: Getting to be a scout eagle! It was a lot of work, I had to do a lot of community service, it was full of great experiences, adventures with friends, outdoor stuff and it was really great! It took a lot of years and I finally got to the top on my eighteenth birthday, which is the limit. If you haven’t become a Scout Eagle by then, you can’t become one. And it was one of my biggest accomplishments. I’ve done a lot of things, but that’s one of my biggest.

HCUPR: What’s your favorite part about your faculty?

Esteban: What’s not to like? Social Sciences faculty is just amazing. You learn something every day about everything, not just social sciences but about life itself. I mean, the best thing about it is the people because they’re all very generous, they know a lot.

HCUPR: What’s something not many people know about you?

Esteban: Maybe the people who know me now don’t know that when I was younger I was a very very VERY shy and insecure person, and I didn’t have the best high school years. I as really quiet. Now it’s a different story, but before that I was even afraid to talk to people, to express what I thought. I mumbled a lot. I was insecure to stand up for myself and that bothered me a lot because I should and did have to stand up for myself. I don’t like to talk about it much, but I let people push me around. I would let it go so as not to create conflict, but now it’s different. I’ve managed to overcome that by myself and that’s another goal that I’ve achieved.

HCUPR: What do you aspire to be in your future? Where do you see yourself?

Esteban: For now, I see myself as a law school student. I want to study international relations and my goal is to become a member of the United Nations, become a delegate or an ambassador. My prime objective is helping people. Seeing these countries are going through a lot of violation of human rights, poverty, etc., I want to help those people and I want to help resolve conflicts between nations and help them progress in society. That’s also why I decided to choose my major, because I want to help and make a difference in society.

HCUPR: If you could go back in time, where and when would you go and why?

Esteban: I would love to visit a lot of time periods, but thinking about it, I’d go back to Jesus’ time and see what actually happened and find out what the truth is. Maybe in a way I’d go to the beginning of time to see what happened there as well.

HCUPR: Who is someone that inspires you?

Esteban: If I had to choose one person, I’d say I aspire to be someone like Nelson Mandela. It’s incredible how he could unite a whole nation.

HCUPR: What’s your motto?

Esteban:  “Just Do It. Don’t let your dreams be dreams.”-Shia LaBeouf,  and “Carpe Diem”

HCUPR: If you could do one thing without getting caught, what would it be?

Esteban: I would sneak out of my house to go Netflix and Chill.