Campus Celebrity Lianeris Estremera Rodríguez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Our campus has graced us with many successful models, each of them pursuing their own dream careers. This model has already represented Puerto Rico in last fall’s New York Fashion Week and this year, she’s doing it again! Meet the girl who grabs her books and studies backstage (really, she does!) and see where she wants to take this journey.

Name: Lianeris Mariel Estremera Rodríguez

Age: 19 (sophomore)

Major: Natural Sciences, Biology

Relationship status: In a relationship

HC: What made you go into the modeling world?

Lianeris: Ever since I was a little girl I have always been interested in modeling, fashion magazines, beauty pageants but I never thought that dream was for me. One day, two models asked for my number because they wanted me to do a casting for a model agency and that’s basically what I did. I went to the casting, passed and started taking classes and courses to improve my skills.

HC: Have you always wanted to be a model or is it a recent thing?

Lianeris: Secretly, I’ve always wanted to be a beauty pageant contestant. That was my biggest dream when I was twelve…but now I’m more into high fashion and the modeling industry. It’s more real.

HC: What is something you’ve had to give up because of your modeling duties?

Lianeris: This is a part-time job, which implies that you have to give up certain things like free time, party time and things like that. Although last semester was really hard, since I was taking the first part of Organic Chemistry, and when I went to NYC for Fashion Week, I missed the first departmental exam…so I gave up that test for modeling! Thank God, everything went great and I am now taking Organic Chem II.

HC: How did you feel when you were first chosen to go audition for Fall-NYFW shows?

Lianeris: I was at the library when I received the email and I was shocked. I was really excited because Fashion Week in New York City is a major event for any model. Its not the same in Puerto Rico because we only have San Juan Moda and Puerto Rico High Fashion Week where the difference is that you don’t get paid. It didn’t matter the place or the designers that were going to present their collection… I knew that Fashion Week in NYC is sponsored by Mercedes-Benz and that, for me… it was magical.

HC: How do you integrate your studies in Biology with the work you’ve done in modeling?

Lianeris: It was really hard for me and it’s still hard. To be a successful Biology student you need a great GPA, which equals to studying all day, every single day, but also for graduate schools you have to do internships, summer programs, extracurricular activities, various research programs, and achieve excellent MCAT/PCAT/EXADEP scores. Now if you add this to a model’s itinerary in PR and NYC then it could be scary. For me, time is precious, especially since I have a very busy agenda, but I think I have managed it pretty well by studying everyday and making the most of it.

HC: Do you see yourself doing this for a long time or is it temporary?

Lianeris: I see myself as a doctor, not that I don’t like modeling as a profession! To be honest I consider it a great opportunity in my youth and, if I have the chance to stay longer in NY working with an agency, of course I would accept it. I’m not going to be 19 my entire life so that means I can’t be a model for my entire life, but if I have the chance to stay as a model for a while I would definitely say yes. It’s hard for young models to have the same luck to be big in the industry (like Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, etc..) and to keep up with their careers until their older so its necessary to have another plan such as a college degree. That’s the principal reason why I’m studying science.

HC: What is one advice someone from the industry has given you that you will never forget?

Lianeris: Models are supposed to captivate the public with their personality. The best advice that someone has given to me is to be myself, do the proper things at the appropriate time, read and be smart, walk with elegance and show them what you are.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 6 years?

Lianeris: I see myself with experience with a New York modeling agency. If things go wonderful, who knows maybe in 6 years I could still be modeling! If the circumstances point out that it’s time to come back to PR then I would reintegrate into the university life, finish my Bachelor’s degree and continue to do a Masters in Public Health and the Doctoral program in Medicine.

HC: When you’re not modeling or studying, what are you doing?

Lianeris: Maybe reading, dancing or  probably planning the rest of my life…[laughs].

HC: How does it feel to have represented Puerto Rico twice now in NYFW? How does it feel to say you’re a college student from our campus?

Lianeris: I have always been proud to be Puerto Rican and representing my country at this major event is something wonderful. New York is the fashion capital of this hemisphere and you can just feel the joy and the excitement of being part of such an iconic fashion tradition. Also, I’m very honored to represent my college, especially when I’m backstage with my books. Its a very different feeling, sometimes scary but its worth it.

*photos were taken from Lianeris’ Facebook page.

Double Major Student in Human Resources and Marketing Management. She loves Social Networks, Netflix and spending time with books once in a while. She is the oldest of three children therefore she is very responsible, humble and driven. On her spare time she manages to find time to talk to a camera over at her Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/AshleyMarie9521. She wants to change the world, doesn't know how yet but she wants to. "Live like you're at the bottom, even if you're at the top."