This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Name: Carolina Isabel

Age: 20
Major: Communications – Public Relations and Advertising

Singer, dancer, songwriter extraordinaire – this collegiette has a passion for music beyond anything you’ve ever seen. With determination and hard work, she has performed in numerous plays, played at gigs and music festivals, and still manages to go to class and do her bachelor’s degree! Read on to find out more. 

HC UPR: Tell us a little about yourself.
CI: 

My grandfather played the cuatro, and my father is a musician, so as you can guess my house was always filled with the sounds of a guitar, drums, keyboard…you name it. I graduated from the Escuela Libre de Música in Hato Rey, concentrating in classical singing and guitar. In the 10th grade, I began taking courses in musical theatre. I joined the Black Box Theatre workshop, where I had the opportunity to star in the musicals Spring Awakening and RENT. I also participated in Dominic, starring Sully Diaz, a musical presented at the 8th Festival del Tercer Amor, directed by Gil René and produced by Aníbal Rubio. It was both an honor and a learning experience for me, working with such talented and professional people. 

HC UPR: When did you begin to sing?

CI: I started singing at a very young age. Ever since I was 3 years old my parents filmed videos of me performing for them. I’ve always felt a strong connection to music; it has always been in me.

HC UPR: What inspires you?
Nature inspires me; or a beautiful melody, too. All my life I have not only enjoyed the music and instruments, but I also enjoy writing. I started writing poems first, and then wrote my first song in the third grade. My desire to create is very strong, so once the muse gets to me, I try not to lose my concentration.  Sometimes even without a muse, I sit down and start writing.

HC UPR: What are your goals?

CI: I have several goals, but all of them have the same end, and that is to live doing what I love: music. Adding to this, I want to be an example to others and reach the ears of many.

HC UPR: Who has been with you along the way?

CI: Without a doubt, my mom. She’s like a superhero, my superhero. She has always been there for me for everything. Right now, with the process that we are undertaking for the team ‘Carolina Isabel’, she is dubbed my “momager”.

HC UPR: Do you have a routine?
CI: I don’t have a routine per se, but before any event or performance, I need to separate a room to be with myself where I can stretch my body, warm up my voice, breathe, relax and get ready mentally to fully commit to the presentation.

HC UPR: How do you manage your time?
CI: 
I admit, I am a little disorganized in terms of agendas, dates and commitments. I always say to myself: “Carolina, you have to get organized”. Since I began college, I organized my classes in a way that I can keep a proper balance between my studies and music activities. I’ve been pretty faithful curriculum set by my major.
I divide my time: I have my days of study and days of musical commitments, which consist of either going to the studio to recording a song or doing a gig. I’ve also managed to keep one day a week off.

HC UPR: What advice would you give to aspiring performers?
Do not let fear deprive you of doing what you really want to do, and above all , you must be willing to sacrifice and surrender to do so.

HC UPR: When is your next event?

CI: I will participate in the musical VIVA Julia de Burgos, starring Johanna Rosaly, which will be presented at the Fine Arts Center in Guaynabo, from November 13 to November 16, 2013.

There you have it, folks! You can reach Carolina Isabel on FacebookTwitterInstagram and SoundCloud
Be sure to follow her on these social networks so you can learn about upcoming activities! Also, make sure to CLICK HERE to listen and subscribe to her YouTube channel.

Here is her amazing cover of Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good”:

Electronic Press Kit:

PHOTO CREDIT:
Carolina Isabel’s Facebook Page

ELECTRONIC PRESS KIT PRODUCED BY:
Cristina del C. López
Joshua A. Font
Ramón E. Torres Santa

Ana Maria Baez is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras and is Her Campus UPR's Campus Correspondent. Pursuing a major in Political Science, she enjoys reading, writing, Sunday brunch, traveling overseas, springtime and playing with her miniature schnauzer. She has interned on Capitol Hill for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the Hispanic Press Office, and since joining the Her Campus UPR team in May 2013, she has been working hard towards promoting the first-ever chapter established in Puerto Rico.