This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We’re still in quarantine, and I know you may feel like you have absolutely nothing to do except complain about how bored you are. Don’t worry! There are still tons of books to be read out there, and this is a great time to tackle those book series or new releases you never got to read, and here is a list of suggestions to get you started. 

All Rick Riordan Books

We all know that reading this author’s masterpieces entails commitment and time because most of his books and series are connected. Now’s the time to start reading these amazing books because you will become immersed in a world of gods and mythological creatures for quite a bit of time, while helping you forget we’re still in quarantine. You could start with Percy Jackson and the Olympians and continue with his other series in the order of their publishing. 

The Hate U Give 

This summer has been a vital period for the Black Lives Matter movement, and because of it, I think it’s a great time to read this book by author Angie Thomas. In it, she tackles police brutality and white privilege in an astounding yet realistic way by telling the story of a Black teenage girl and how she fights against injustice in the system after her friend is murdered by a police officer. 

Red, White and Royal Blue

I’m pretty sure that everyone that knows me personally has heard me talk about and recommend this book. I constantly chatter about how spectacular this novel by Casey McQuiston is. She paints a magnificent, alternate universe where a woman wins the 2016 U.S. elections instead of Trump, but actually tells the story of her son and how he falls in love with the Prince of Wales. Being part of the LGBTQ+ community herself, she brings us great content about the secret relationship of these two characters. I absolutely recommend this book with all my heart; and if you do decide to give it a try, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

The Folk of the Air Trilogy 

This interesting fantasy series by Holly Black has been a hit ever since the first book, The Cruel Prince, came out back in 2018. I remember reading it in one sitting a couple of months after its release and anxiously waiting for the second installment in the series (which did not disappoint either). Now that we are in quarantine, you might pick this finished trilogy that will have you engrossed in a world of faerie courts and mythical creatures. It tells the story of Jude, a human girl that grew up among these, in a world where she is discriminated against just because she’s a human. However, she’s not gonna let them get away with making her feel less than her surrounding community of magical beings, and she becomes powerful in her own way.

The Lady Janies Series

Probably some of the most creative books I’ve read belong to this series. This innovative series by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows takes history and mixes it with fantasy. All three books can be read alone because each of them tells the story of different Janes. The first Jane being Jane Grey, also known as the nine day queen. This first book mixes 16th century England (historic royal character and all) with humans that turn into animals. It brings a touch of action and originality to the story of these royals. I flew through both of the first two books and I’m super excited to read the third one that came out this summer. 

I hope you give all of these books a try, as I’m sure you won’t regret it. They might just help you get through these horrible quarantine times while keeping you safely entertained inside your home. So grab a glass of iced coffee (to help with the heat of summer), get comfortable, and start reading!

Angélica is a Comparative Literature in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's a wannabe writer that can be found cuddled up in her bed reading a book. Her biggest obsession is Harry Potter and anything to do with it. She has a lot of dreams for her future and hopes to work in a publishing house someday.