This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Bad boy falls in love with perfect, unattainable girl. It’s one of the most popular tropes in Young Adult books, and I can’t help but swoon over it. Admit it, most of us do. For me, the inevitable fall happened when I read Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles–it’s my favorite book. Crash into You, however, was different.

I don’t tend to criticize books often; I don’t think I have the knowledge and worthiness to do it. However, I do feel that I should express my honest thoughts to fellow readers. I liked this book. I read it over my Hurricane María break, one that I can now joke about, but if you’re not into this trope, I don’t suggest you read it. The book doesn’t have ulterior motives rather than narrating yet another “bad boy falls for good girl” narrative. I enjoyed that the book was centered around the life of a girl who loved–and knew a thing or two about–cars. Nowadays, you need an author who can break gender roles like that.

However, I am wary of some things in this book. Yes, Isaiah – our brooding protagonist – is irresistible and brooding, but he’s way too serious for a high school kid. The fact that things happen and they change people is one we can all understand. But one I cannot fathom is how these characters act so…adult when there are adults around. It was hard for me to sympathize or understand their circumstances because I couldn’t relate to them. Their situations (or rather their approach to them) were kind of unrealistic for teenagers. Who owes money to a dangerous thug, does reckless things, but never gets caught? It’s hard to believe, and I like my books somewhat realistic.

Nevertheless, the approach to anxiety, panic attacks, and attention to mental health is astounding. I love books and authors that can tackle such a sensitive subject. Our society needs more authors like Katie McGarry that can bring a panic attack from the book to the reader’s mind and make them feel it. They are horrible experiences, that not many understand, but we all should know how to deal with them.

Crash Into You has the bad boys, good girl with her own issues, and twists and turns that will keep you entertained. If you ever find yourself wanting a light read and wanting to experience this book for yourself, then go ahead. I do have my reservations about it, but it doesn’t mean you should.

Favorite Quote: “God does exist and he sent an angel in a white Mustang to prove it.”

Rating: 3.5 / 5.0

Double Major Student in Human Resources and Marketing Management. She loves Social Networks, Netflix and spending time with books once in a while. She is the oldest of three children therefore she is very responsible, humble and driven. On her spare time she manages to find time to talk to a camera over at her Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/AshleyMarie9521. She wants to change the world, doesn't know how yet but she wants to. "Live like you're at the bottom, even if you're at the top."